Ahhh....PROCRASTINATION. 'Tis one of the things I do best.
With that in mind, here is yet another installment of completely random (and for the most part useless) thoughts which come to mind on this Monday morning.
* It's a good idea to label bottles and containers. I have a tendency not to do that, and it drives people in this household nuts. Yesterday, I experienced the consequences when I slathered my entire self in what I believed to be curiously unscented body lotion, only to discover it was sunscreen. Let's just say it went on a lot easier than it came off.
* Last week, I had the pleasure of attending the monthly book club at the store where I teach. While in the midst of our seriously intellectual discussion, someone mentioned that she knew a person who had put LIPSTICK on her cat. THEN another person mentioned that she had actually put BLUSH on her cat!
Of course, this conversation started me thinking about putting make-up on Lily and Tinsel, something I had absolutely never considered. Now, it would be difficult to find colors that would show on Tinsel's darker fur, but blush just might work on Lily. Both of them have blackish-colored lips, though, so my lipstick wouldn't show. We'd probably just go with a clear gloss. But then I got the even better idea of cat wigs or hairpieces. I'm pretty excited about this concept. I don't think it's been done much in the feline world.
* A person just cannot have too many rulers. You never know when you're going to need to measure something. And my favorite kind of ruler is a centering ruler. Although I get harassed about my love for this tool, it is really great for making sure whatever you're working with is centered (hence the name). I also use my centering ruler to mark the spacing for holes in mini-albums and such. It's a really good thing.
* Speaking of the need for things to be straight, I cannot stand it when signs on buildings are crooked. I've blogged about this before, and I still cannot move past my dislike of crooked signs. There is a high-rise hotel near us with a very crooked sign on the side of the building. Even my daughter's orthodontist's office has a crooked sign! Now, I ask you: Does a crooked sign on an orthodontist's office inspire confidence?
* From what I can see, SOCK MONKEYS are the NEXT BIG THING, and people, please note that I was way ahead of this trend. Consider the evidence:
- I have sock monkey pajamas from Target. Now you can also buy matching sock monkey slippers. (They actually look more like lambs with lipstick.) I also have my original sock monkey to use as a stylish accessory.
- Daisy D's is launching a new line of -- you guessed it -- SOCK MONKEY PAPER! Now some of the sock monkeys on this paper have a slightly evil look about them. I guess not all sock monkeys are to be trusted.
- My friend Connie's son watched a show on Nickelodeon recently in which GINORMOUS sock monkeys were invading a city!
* I love snow, but when it starts to melt and get dirty, I no longer love it. If we're gonna have snow, we need to have an occasional "dusting" of new snow just to freshen things up a bit. I told Daughter yesterday that occasionally we need to do the same thing to the cats' litter boxes...not with snow, but with fresh litter! Did you know that "freshening up" the litter box is called "dressing" it? Betcha didn't know that. :-)
* Speaking of litter boxes, at our house we actually call them tidy boxes. I'm sure you're wondering about this, so let me explain. Many moons ago, there was a litter (not sure if they still make it) called "Tidy Cat". My mom started referring to the litter as "tidy"...not unlike calling tissues "Kleenex." The term is now infused into our household. Anyone reading this is free to say "tidy box", "kitty tidy", or just "tidy" from now on. It's my little gift to you.
* I discovered over the weekend that we have not one, not two, but THREE nutcracker/pick sets in this house. This begs the question: Just how often do three people need to crack nuts simultaneously?
* The February issue of Martha Stewart Living features 66 techniques everyone "needs to know". This month, I shall learn to make a fortune cookie out of felt. Stand back, people.
* Why do I invariably sneeze when I'm carrying a full cup of coffee?
* Did you know that if you have more than one Starbucks card, the nice Starbucks guy might combine them for you, if he knows how to do that? But don't let him take away your really cute (but now empty) Starbucks card, because you might be able to do something crafty with it.
That's it for today, folks. Now, let's get back to work, or whatever we're supposed to be doing.