05 January 2007

Feline Friday Part I: Sleep Deprived


Does this not look like the very picture of innocence? Sweet little face, soft little feet, round little (I mean big) tummy...dreaming peacefully of meadows and mice.
Actually, this little darling is more likely plotting her next destructive act, or a new and creative way to keep me from sleeping.
Isn't it supposed to be getting easier? At almost 9 months of age, Lily is still not sleeping at night. In fact, it's getting worse all the time. Starting between midnight and 2 a.m., she begins running at top speed, banking off the furniture and then jumping up the walls, claws extended all the way down.
This is not good for the paint, the wallpaper, or the marriage.
Then she starts the little "purr-rrt" sounds -- cute but extremely deceptive, because those little sounds are followed by tables tipping over, phones being knocked to the floor, doors rattling, and fighting with Tinsel. I get out of the bed (the one it took so long for us to get), shut her in the bathroom, and in no time, she lets herself out. This routine lasts until around 5:30 or 6 a.m. By that time, everyone is up and she's ready for bed.
In a recent fit of desperation, I shut Tinsel in the bathroom, even though she had done nothing wrong, just to keep the two of them separated. I went back to bed and heard the pocket door rattling. I went downstairs to find that Lily had let Tinsel out of the bathroom. Partners in crime, indeed.
The long and short of it is that on this Feline Friday, I love Lily to pieces, but I am sleep deprived in a big way. Read on to Part II, the consequences of sleep deprivation.

1 comment:

Amber said...

What a cute cat. My cat sits like a human. Propped up against a wall and usually a paw out...lol.