26 September 2007

Your local copy shop: A very good thing

This week, I'm starting to prepare the kits for my Christmas card classes. After so many years of doing this, you'd think I'd be getting smarter about the prep work, right?

NOT! I guess I'm a slow learner, because this is the first year I've taken my cardstock to the copy shop to have it cut. This is a huge deal for me, because in the past, I have cut it myself or had students cut it as part of the class. But when you're making 20 cards in 3 hours, time is of the essence, and I'd really prefer students not have to spend so much of it cutting.

So today I had 1,200 sheets of cardstock cut to make 2,400 card bases. It took the guy at the copy shop less than 30 minutes to do it. And the cost? Less than $5.

Do you have any idea how long it would have taken me to cut this by hand? I won't even say how long, because my spouse reads this blog.
But I WILL say that seeing all of this cardstock cut (by someone other than me) and neatly stacked in boxes nearly brought a tear to my eye. I kid you not.

Keep in mind that this is only one part of the kits I'm making. But it gives me a big jump start and (most importantly) a psychological boost. With this part done, tomorrow I can start pulling the rest of the kit components together.

Next time you have a big project to do, I'd suggest asking your local copy shop if it offers this service. As Martha would say, it's a good thing.

A VERY good thing.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness...how much time that must have saved you! And with precision. Awesome idea!

Linda said...

I must say you made me giggle. I think it is awesome that you had someone cut your cardstock. Good luck with your classes!

Alyssa said...

When I worked in a print shop, I used to cut my card stock this way too. Our cutter could cut a whole ream (500 sheets) of paper at once! cutting this all by hand...I don't even want to think how long that would take!

Maureen said...

Wow, that IS a good thing... good thing you thought about it, that is!

What a beautiful sight to behold; boxes full of colorful cardstock! Can I take your class too?

(I wish I lived closer....)

Stephanie said...

Awesome! I will have to remember that tip!

Darcey said...

What a great idea! TFS!

Lynn said...

This is a great idea! I know that my copy shop does do cutting, just not sure how much the cost is. I will definitely cut down the time spent cutting and getting them together. That right there is a big boost!