04 September 2007

Kitchen...check!

I'm pleased to report that a major task on the re-decorating checklist was completed this weekend: the kitchen. Well, a few things remain to be done, but the daunting tasks are finished.

I don't have a complete "before" photo to document the extent of this transformation, but you can see from the top photo that our countertops were white and that the walls were covered with a cream-colored, fruit-scattered wallpaper. (Truly, the wallpaper was beautiful 12 years ago, but not today.)

Being somewhat leery of patterns, all of the fruit eventually became unbearable to me. Perhaps if there had been a solid color to balance it out, it would have been less jarring, but there were no solid colors to be found in the kitchen, other than the white of the countertops and appliances, which actually clashed with the cream wallpaper. (How did I not notice that 12 years ago?) The fruit had to go.

In addition to removing the wallpaper, we replaced the countertops with a black flecked solid surface and painted the walls Behr Tate Olive green. We replaced all of the cabinet hardware, the faucets, and the switch plates. A new sliding door should be here in a few weeks. In the meantime, I need to pick out a few simple things for the walls.

I know that the green is a bold color and probably not for everyone, but I like it a LOT. And believe me, it is a 100% improvement from the fruit explosion.

11 comments:

Lynn said...

Wow, what a transformation. I love what you've done! Especially the green. Its so hard to choose what colors sometimes. I know when we finally get to our kitchen next year it will be a gold color with green trim (maybe).

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I love your cabinets - and the pear!

KarenSue said...

love it..and my kitchen is an even greener green...like Kermit the frog green...but I love the energy..

yours looks very classy, with the olive and black.

Anonymous said...

Wowzers!!!! It is gorgeous!! While green is not my color, I love this. A job well done! Did you kiss the painter? Well worth the wait.

Janet said...

Thank you, guys! I'm really pleased with it. Who knows...since I can now tolerate the kitchen, maybe I'll even start to cook! OK, that's a bold statement...Janet

EquineSpirit said...

Beautiful! I LOVE it!! Well done!!

Maureen said...

I absolutely LOVE it!!!! Wow, great job. Will you come and re-do mine now?

Pleeeeez??

Sofia said...

Love that color! Beautiful makeover.

Janet said...

Sabrina, Sophia, and Maureen -- thank you! But Maureen, I don't think you'd want DH to paint your kitchen...we have been working on it since May and he just finished! Surely he is the world's slowest painter. For all of his hard work, I wish he liked the color, but he actually hates it! Oops! :-)

Heather said...

Beautiful! Maybe you can come redo our ugly country blue flowery kitchen next! ;o)

CircesMagic said...

I absolutely love your new kitchen!! Enjoy it!!