03 September 2015

Of Hard-Boiled Eggs and Slicing Thingy

 Every year at the Iowa State Fair, the Iowa Egg Council gives out samples of hard-boiled eggs on Popsicle sticks. You can dip them in a spicy salt mixture or eat them plain. The lowly Egg on a Stick is one of my favorite fair foods. 
 
As much as I like hard-boiled eggs, I almost never make them at home. I guess it's because I've always been a little iffy on how to make the perfect hard-boiled egg. After all, how do you know that it's done without removing the shell? And if it's not done (no runny eggs for this girl...ewwwww!), then you've ruined a perfectly good egg!

So, at the risk of sounding completely inept in the kitchen (no surprise there!), I looked up the "recipe" for making hard-boiled eggs. Turns out it's very easy.
  
  • Put the eggs in a pan and cover with cold water.
  • Bring to a boil.
  • Turn off the stove. (Turn it off! This is the best kind of cooking! And this is where I've gone wrong in the past, boiling the eggs forever and unnecessarily.)
  • Cover the pan and let the eggs sit in the hot water for up to 18 minutes. Go do something else!
  • Rinse in cold water.
  • Peel under running water. 
 THAT IS IT, PEOPLE!

 Using these instructions, I made a batch of perfectly hard-boiled eggs to put on a salad. 

But wait...it gets even better!

Because then came the most exciting part...cutting the eggs with this slicing thingy which had been hidden in the back of the kitchen drawer! 

 I got so excited that I didn't even let the eggs cool sufficiently. Look! Here it goes!

Woo hoo!

 Aerial view!

How lovely!

I tell you, it's the little things. :)
jp

No comments: