26 December 2013

Holiday Stovetop Potpourri


 I'm all about a good-smelling house. Seriously. I've always been highly influenced by scents, and I think that the first thing you smell when you walk into a house can make a huge impact. That's why I always pay attention to what our house smells like when you walk through the door. Now given my propensity to kitchen calamities, it can sometimes be a real challenge to make the house smell like something other than burned rubber! :) But most of the time I aim for a more pleasant aroma, like the scent of apples or pears.


When I ran across this recipe for Holiday Stovetop Potpourri, I knew it would be a keeper. Rather than make it the stove, I tossed it into my small crock pot. Could not be easier!

Special note: After a full day of simmering, I wondered why I couldn't smell the potpourri as much as I expected. Turns out you need to remove the lid from the crock pot! DUH! :) Trust me, it smells GREAT once you take the lid off! Thanks for the tip, Spouse!


* * * * *  
Holiday Stovetop Potpourri
1/2 cup fresh cranberries
1 orange (sliced)
4 cinnamon sticks (broken in half)
1 TB cloves
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2-3 cups water


Instructions
Combine ingredients in a small pot and simmer over low heat for as long as desired. Add more water if it gets low. Enjoy the holiday scent!

No comments: