27 June 2011

Motivation on a Cough Drop?

Summer allergies. Yesterday while I was sitting in church, I unwrapped a Halls cough drop and popped it in my mouth. Nothing unusual about that...

...until I noticed something written on the wrapper. On closer inspection, I could see that the good people at Halls have now decided to add motivational sayings to their cough drops:
"A Pep Talk in Every Drop" says the wrapper.

Really? Motivational sayings on a cough drop?

I'm not sure who came up with this marketing campaign, but thinking it will be short-lived.

So as I was trying to stifle my cough, I also had to try to stifle a laugh. (Remember, I was in church.)

"Nothing you can't handle!"

"Power through!"

"Buckle down and push forth!" (Push forth?)

"Go get it!"

"Get back in the game!"

"Push on!"

"You've survived tougher." (That one's a little depressing...)

I just don't get it. Are the folks at Halls thinking you'll crunch through an entire bag of strawberry cough drops instead of going to therapy?

I checked out the Halls website but found no mention of this marketing campaign (no surprise there). But the Halls
Facebook page seems to be playing to this new higher calling of cough drops:

HALLS Lozenge of Wisdom: (LOZENGE of WISDOM???) We know it’s irritating, but next time someone cuts you in line or takes your parking space, just take a deep breath and move on. It’s not worth the stress. Of course, if you breathe deeply after a HALLS, your throat will be soothed too.


That's not bad advice.
Maybe they're on to something at Halls.
Motivation on a cough drop. Who knew?


2 comments:

Heather said...

My husband is currently suffering from a bad cough, and we bought a bag of Halls for him Friday. I noticed the same thing. Odd marketing!

Jill said...

Lozenge of wisdom! Lozenge of wisdom...who'd'a thunk?!?!?!