30 June 2011

Chicken Enchiladas - Clean Eating Magazine

This week's new recipe was Chicken Enchiladas, another great recipe from Clean Eating magazine. The downside was that making it took only slightly less effort than childbirth. The upside? Like parenthood, it was worth it!



Some of my enchiladas fell apart, but that didn't seem to hurt the taste! And of course one can cover up any number of flaws with enough sour cream, cheese, and salsa. Yeah, yeah, yeah...in so doing, we negated some of the "clean" in "Clean Eating". But I truly deserved it, after all the time I spent on this dish!

Click on the above image for a larger view of the recipe. Print it as a full page, and you'll get all the details of this recipe plus a bit of information about Mexican comfort food.

To make this recipe, I had to buy a couple of items which were new to my grocery list: poblano peppers and tomatillos. The poblano peppers are broiled long enough to char the skin (not to ignite them!). After slicing them, they're rolled up inside the enchiladas with the chicken and onion.


The
tomatillos (which remind me of green tomatoes, but firmer) are boiled and then chopped in the blender to make salsa verde. The recipe suggests dipping the corn tortillas in the salsa before heating them a skillet. (Heating softens the tortilla so that it can be rolled.) I'll admit that all of this tortilla business (dipping, warming, then rolling) got a bit cumbersome for someone like me who is not terribly adept in the kitchen. If you have an idle child this summer, put him or her to work helping with this step!

We all enjoyed this dish and agreed it was worth the extra effort to prepare it. If you try it, let me know!

No comments: