23 November 2007

One more reason to go to Starbucks


In case you need one more excuse to go to Starbucks, let me offer this: The advent calendar, introduced last year, is back.

I picked
up mine after LAST Christmas for around $5. I fished it out of the clearance bin, brought it home, ate all of the candy without telling anyone, and packed it away with the intent to alter it before this Christmas. Of course, I completely forgot about it until this week.

Inspired by my recent burst of productivity with the button tree, I decided that tonight the Starbucks calendar should be altered. I even used my beloved Ki Memories paper, lovingly hoarded since last Christmas. Strike while the iron is hot, I always say.

As you can see by the above photo, the calendar consists of 24 numbered drawers. On the back side of each drawer is a portion of a Christmas scene. By the time December 24 arrives, the entire scene is complete. Because the drawers have to flip around, you're limited in how much alteri
ng you can do. I kept it simple and used patterned paper, stickers, rub-ons, and punches. Nothing lumpy.

So now, my task is to fill each drawer with some little goodies. AND to refrain from eating them until the appropriate day.

So take my advice and run to Starbucks today to pick up a latte and an advent calendar.

Oh -- and don't forget the Cranberry Bliss Bar. You'll need your strength for crafting, after all.

17 comments:

Pearl Maple said...

Well done with your altered advent tree, it is very festive. Always a treat to stop by after feline friday's your kittys are such sweeties.

April said...

The advent tree is adorable. You did a great job:)

Jill said...

Looks great!!!!! Especially with the kitty sniffing it! :-) :-) :-)

Alyssa said...

Wow! Only $5...what a great deal. I have been looking for advent calendar ideas and I really like this one. TFS.

CircesMagic said...

That is so cool!! Nice work!

Janet said...

Thank you, guys! Fun project, and it only took a couple of hours to finish. That's always a good thing!

Alyssa-The calendars normally run around $9.99, which still isn't too bad, and of course you can eat the candy before your family knows it is there!! he he!

Thx for visiting! Janet :-)

Sarah said...

that turned out great! And love the picture from the last post with the two kitties ;)

Sarah Coggins said...

What a find! You've done a beautiful job altering it. It was cute, but now gorgeous! tfs! :)

Oh, why did I have to read down where you said they are reg only $9.99? Now I just might have to get one! LOL

~Sarah

Gabrielle said...

I just saw this at Starbuck's....great idea!

Super cute!

Sarah Coggins said...

Enabler! ;) LOL I went and got one. Sooo much fun. I posted the results (and credit to you - thank you!) are on my blog.

~Sarah

Katy said...

WONDERFUL!

I'm heading off to Starbucks today!

Colleen said...

Totally love this and saw your on a link from Sarah's! Now I wanna do one!

Janet said...

Hey, thanks again, guys! Everyone needs to check out Sarah C's super cute Starbucks calendar!! It is adorable! Those corporate Starbucks people are surely going to notice a big BLIP in their sales this month! Thanks again for looking! Enjoy the cranberry bliss bars...*YUM*!
-Janet

Maureen said...

Okay, I was eyeing these yesterday but didn't pick it up (got the ornaments instead).... guess what I am asking daughter to pick up tonight when she's working at Starbucks????? Looks great, BTW, Janet...

Anonymous said...

Your altered tree looks fantastic - you've done such a great job with this!

Janet said...

Maureen & Shirley - Thanks a bunch! Fun to make, and not too time-consuming. :-) Maureen, I bought the ornaments last year. Will need to check them out again this year...they didn't have any last time. Oh...I feel a SB run coming on... :-) Janet

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.