14 June 2015

Recipe: Mediterannean Tuna Salad With Un-Zesty Dijon Vinaigrette


We tried a new recipe last week, and it's a keeper! There was a LOT of vegetable chopping involved, and it's a minor miracle I didn't end up in the emergency room. But I survived, and Spouse says this is a recipe he'd have again -- just not every week. :)

I found this recipe in the newspaper, which is not my normal source for such things. I tried to make it pretty much as written, minus the red onions (which I don't eat) and using a little less celery and mint (for Spouse).
At the grocery store, I could not find packaged fresh mint, so I asked Mr. Produce Guy about it. He told me that there's a mysterious nationwide shortage of mint right now. Well, I'm pleased to report that I solved this mystery on the drive home. I'm quite sure that the shortage is due to all the MINT JULEPS that were made for the Kentucky Derby! :)

Anyway, since I couldn't find any mint to purchase, I bought a small mint plant in the garden tent at the grocery store to put in a container on the patio. I use a lot of mint in cooking anyway, so this will be handy to have. Assuming I keep it alive, that is. :)

This recipe called for stocking up on lots of vegetables, including radishes and celery. For whatever reason, I almost never buy either of them, but it was really nice to have them in the fridge for snacking. I'll definitely buy them more often!

 Back to the salad! As I mixed up the dressing, it didn't seem like there was enough, so I added more oil to increase the volume. Unfortunately, I forgot to add more mustard so my poor salad wasn't "Zesty" at all. But it was still fresh, crunchy, and very healthful!

Be forewarned: This recipe makes a LOT! We had plenty for two dinners. This is one of those salads which is actually better on the second day. It would be great in a pita the second time around, but of course I forgot to buy them!
If you're looking for a nice summer salad which serves as a meal in itself, I'd encourage you to give this one a try!
jp

1 comment:

Kimberly Marie said...

I think it sounds and looks fabulous!! Mmmmm, it's making my mouth water right now. :) I don't think Dean would even be sport enough to try it, as you may remember what a finicky eater my husband is!! Lol!!