28 January 2014

Recipe: Chicken Korma

 Friends, I have shared a few Indian recipes on my blog, but the one I'm sharing in today's post is truly the BEST one I've ever made! Okay, I know I say that every one of my Indian recipes is the best, but this one really IS the best! It is so good that Spouse even shared it with an out-of-state friend who subsequently made it and loved it! He even sent Spouse a picture, so you KNOW it's a great recipe! If you want to try Indian food, this is the recipe.

You might be intimidated by the number of spices, but there is really nothing unusual in this assortment. I've been doing a lot of Indian/Moroccan cooking and have amassed quite a few spices, so I was pleased that I actually had everything on hand for this one! If you don't like spicy food, I'd suggest cutting the cayenne pepper by half.

Serves 4 

1/2 cup almond slices or slivers
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons minced or grated ginger
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
1 dried bay leaf
2 teaspoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more if needed
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (if needed)
  1. Grind 1/2 of the almonds in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle, reserving the other half until Step 4.
  2.  In a small bowl, combine the ground almonds, cumin, coriander, cardamom, cayenne pepper, paprika, cinnamon, and cloves.
  3. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet (14" is ideal) or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute. Add the chicken and sauté, stirring occasionally, until it's mostly white, about 2 minutes. Add the almond-spice mix and stir to coat the chicken and onions. 
  4. Add the yogurt, bay leaf, and brown sugar and allow the chicken to simmer for another 3 to 4 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked and the sauce has thickened. Add the salt and pepper and adjust with more salt if needed. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with the remaining almond slices and chopped cilantro, and serve. 
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 You'll just have to trust me when I tell you how delicious this is. My pictures don't do it justice!

Look at these beautiful spices! When a recipe starts out with this much color, you KNOW it's going to be good!

I wasn't sure how to grind the almonds without getting out my big food processor, then I remembered this little device I found in my parents' house last summer. It was perfect for grinding the almonds!

This is the chicken simmering away in a big pan. Oh, the aroma! Be still, my heart! Special thanks to Bailey for the awesome heat-proof spatulas. It's great to be able to cook without melting your spatula! :)

Oh, look! Here's my little helper, waiting for something to accidentally drop on the floor!

Who, me???

And here it is after the yogurt has been added. This creates a very rich sauce, typical of the Indian food I've tried.

My food photography leaves a lot to be desired but rest assured, this dish is fantastic! In an Indian restaurant, you would probably enjoy it with basmati rice, but I had couscous on hand and that worked just as well. If you're looking to branch out with your cooking, give this recipe a try! I can't wait to make it again!

4 comments:

Kimberly Marie said...

Mmmm, it does look good, and you're right ~ with all those beautiful looking spices, I'll bet it tastes great, too!

Heather said...

This looks delicious!! I've only had Indian food once or twice, but I liked it when I did. I have most of the spices to make this; I'm only missing a couple. I'll have to try it soon! Thanks for sharing!

Heather said...

I made this last night, and we both really liked it! I did make a couple of tiny changes: I'm not a fan of onions so used onion powder instead. Also, I didn't have cardamom and the only bottle at the grocery store I went to was $12...not something I was willing to pay for a spice I may or may not ever use again, so I just left that out. It was still really good! We served it over white rice. I had intended to make it over the weekend when I'd have time to try my hand at homemade naan, but it wasn't happening last night. LOL Maybe next time, because we will be having this again! :)

Janet said...

It is very yummy, Kimberly! :)

So glad you enjoyed it, Heather! It's on my "keeper" list for sure!