20 September 2012

Recipe: Mulligatawny Soup

 I tried a new recipe this week from Clean Eating magazine. I've had very good experience with CE recipes and this one is another keeper! 

You'll see that this recipe contains coconut milk. Now I have an entire container of it, so I'm going to have to figure out what to do with it. I froze some of it, and I know you can use it on cereal and in coffee, in addition to curry-based dishes. I also know it works in desserts, but I'm not much of a dessert person so I don't think I'll be whipping up a cake anytime soon. Be aware that it comes in small cans, sometimes located in the baking aisle. So buy a can if you can find it. Unless you love coconut milk, then buy a carton. I tried to drink a cup of it and couldn't stand it, but it's very good in this soup! :)

This soup is perfect for fall and it smells GREAT! If you like Indian food, you'll love it. According to the magazine article, "mulligatawny" means "pepper water". The magazine goes on: "The soup is thought to have been served to the British stationed in India during the 18th century. It's typically a spicy, curry-based soup which chicken, rice, apples, and cream." The Clean Eating folks replaced the cream with low-fat coconut milk for authentic Indian flavor.

Note: If you're concerned about spiciness, this soup wasn't spicy at all. The Sriracha hot sauce is optional. Spouse used it; I did not.
Enjoy!
jp

Mulligatawny Soup
From Clean Eating Magazine 

Ingredients 

1 cup brown Basmati rice
2 tsp olive oil
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
pinch sea salt
pinch black pepper
4 cloves garlic
1 yellow onion
1 leek
1 carrot
1 tsp grated ginger
2 Tbsp curry powder
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 Granny Smith apples (I used only 1)
1 cup low fat coconut milk
2 Tbsp lemon juice
Sriracha hot sauce (this is optional-I didn't use it)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Instructions
1. Prepare rice per package instructions then set aside.

2. Heat oil on medium high, then add cubed and seasoned (with salt and pepper) chicken to pot and cook until edges are golden brown (3-4 minutes). Remove chicken and set aside.
 
 Add chopped garlic, diced onion, sliced leek (no leaves), diced carrot and grated ginger to pot. Saute 3 minutes, stirring frequently. (This mixture smells really good as it cooks!)

 Add curry powder and cook an additional 2 minutes, stirring frequently. (OK, now it smells GREAT!)
 
3. Return chicken to pot and stir in stock. Bring to boil, reduce to medium, partially cover and and simmer (stirring occasionally) for 30 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in apples, coconut milk and lemon juice. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Add Sriracha to taste.


Note: At this point, I transferred the soup to a crock pot to keep it warm. 


4. Spoon rice into serving bowls and top with soup and cilantro.





2 comments:

Renee said...

Janet! You're a life saver! I moved and lost my box of cooking magazines. I've been looking for this recipe all week and found it here. Thank you for posting!!!

Janet said...

Yay! I just now saw this!!