26 January 2011

Recipe: Picadillo Chowder

Recently I ran across a copy of a new-to-me magazine called Clean Eating. The recipes in this magazine feature ingredients in their natural, unprocessed state. So far, we've tried two recipes from this issue and they both were great. A third is on the stove right now.


Of course, I forgot to take a picture of the first recipe I made, so here's a photo of the magazine page. Note the title: Picadillo Chowder with Rice Browns. HAHAHA, I thought. A typo right in the title: They meant to say "brown rice", not "rice browns". This doesn't bode well for the recipe! It's probably going to SUCK!

Well, as I was assembling the soup, I read on a little further and realized that the "rice browns" are actually those cute little rice patties shown in the photo. FINE. Have your rice browns. Who even says "rice browns" anyway??? In addition to sounding a bit too pretentious for my taste, they looked rather labor intensive. No rice browns for me, thank you very much.

Now, the soup -- or chowder, to be precise -- was great the first day and even better the second. Definitely a KEEPER recipe. I made it early in the afternoon then put it in the crock pot to simmer until dinner. The only thing I would do differently is add a little salt. I think Spouse threw in some additional cumin, too, but I can't be sure of that. Perhaps he'll comment and share his secret ingredient.

Picadillo Chowder withOUT Rice Browns (Clean Eating magazine)

1 pound lean ground pork
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
32 oz low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
1 cup organic black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup brown rice
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chile powder
Juice of 1 lime
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)

1. Prepare 1/4 cup rice according to package. Remove from heat and fluff with fork; set aside.

2. Chowder: In large stockpot, cook pork and onion on medium heat until pork is opaque and onion is translucent. Stir in garlic; cook for 2 minutes.

3. Remove pot from heat, pour pork mixture into colander and drain fat. Return to pot and add broth. Stir in beans, rice, cumin, and chile powder. Bring chowder to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in lime juice and simmer for 15 minutes. Garnish with parsley.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Note: Spouse added garlic powder plus a bit more chili powder.

Jill said...

I actually get that magazine by accident! I mean, I got a magazine subscription for a gift and I didn't know what to get, so I tried it. I've only made one recipe from it (and as my usual, I changed a bunch of stuff) but it was good.,