26 November 2009

Thanksgiving in review

After all of my fussing about making the Thanksgiving dinner again this year, things actually went pretty well. I had made myself a detailed cooking plan last year and -- once I found it -- basically followed it again this year.



You see, the kitchen feels like like alien turf to someone like me, so a good plan written in my own language ("Turn on oven." "Remove cat from table.") is a necessity.

But, as many have pointed out, the food is not the important thing on Thanksgiving anyway. It's taking a moment to be grateful for what we have, not what we don't have, and to celebrate the good things in our lives. Even though we hit rough patches on the road of life now and then, we are incredibly blessed. We need to do a better job of remembering that every day of the year, not just on Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Looks like a wonderful day (especially if you're a cat!) ;)

Debbie said...

For someone who doesn't like the kitchen, you put on quite a spread!

Laura said...

I had the exact same thought as you about being thankful like this all year long!

P.S. The food looks delicious! :)