02 November 2009

Scenes from Halloween 2009


Other than the slightly damp and cold weather, we had a pretty good Halloween this year. Daughter and friends carved pumpkins at our house. I broke out the power tools and drilled holes in my own pumpkin. We had lots of Trick-or-Treaters but somehow ended up with a bit too much candy, including an excessive number of Tootsie Rolls which I've since managed to eat.

But the highlight of Halloween 2009 was when I stopped at the grocery store and found the produce guy dressed in a banana suit, pushing carts in from the parking lot. Then, as if that wasn't enough excitement for one holiday, another banana showed up at our house for Trick-or-Treat. The girl in this banana suit assured me that she wasn't related to the grocery store banana, even though I told her that there was a strong family resemblance. :-)

Here in central Iowa, Trick-or-Treaters are traditionally expected to tell a joke to get candy. Now, I know plenty of slackers who will waive this requirement and dole out the candy without the trick, but not me. Unless you're very young or painfully shy, I insist on a joke! Here are some of the best (or at least most coherent) riddles of the evening:

What do you call a cow lying on the ground? Ground beef. (That's a real Iowa joke for ya.)

What do you call a cross between a brown cow and a chicken? (Trendwatch:
Lots of cow jokes this year.) Brown-chicka-brown cow (sing the punch line).

Why did Britney Spears get hit by a truck? Because she said, "Hit me baby one more time." (Oh, my.)

And I'll leave you with this little gem...

How do you wake up Lady Gaga? Poker Face.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

I have never heard of the tradition of requiring a joke, sounds like fun.

Katie said...

I am impressed that you let the kids carve INSIDE your house...oh the smell!!! The Lady Gaga joke made me LOL

Jack's joke: How do you make a kleenex dance? Put a little boogie in it!

Sam's: Why is it so cold at baseball games? There is a fan in every seat!

Connie said...

One of the boys Colin went trick or treating with was also a banana. I told him they should all get the same costume next year and go as a bunch! ha ha ha!
Oh, and C. told me the Lady Gaga joke the other day, too. He said he made it up. Not!

Maureen said...

Okay. I admit it. I actually LOL'd!

What a great tradition! I wish they did that here.

And I had to laugh at all the bananas in your neck of the woods.

Jill said...

The joke thing sounded familiar to The-Guy-Who-Knows-A-Song-About-A-Chicken. I had never heard of anything like that except the ole' "Trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat!"

Sounds like a nice evening!