07 December 2015

Recipe: Skinny Baked Potato Soup

Hello and happy Monday! 
 It seems that lately I've been making a LOT of soup in the crock pot. I do like soup, but I mainly make it because I like not having to worry about dinner at the last minute. I always feel so organized (ha!) on days when dinner is simmering away in the crock pot!

For the past couple of years, I've also been working to change how I cook, using far fewer "processed" foods, fewer carbs, and more fresh ingredients. This recipe from Baked Potato Soup is a great example of the type of recipes I've been trying to make. It's full of veggies, lower in fat than regular baked potato soup, and once it's mixed up, you can put it in the crock pot and forget about it.  Then when you come home, your house will smell great and dinner is already made!

Baked Potato Soup
Recipe from Skinnytaste
Note: We skipped the bacon (*sniff*sniff*). Of course, this yummy soup would be even better with bacon! I also skipped the cheese (not a fan of cheddar!) and didn't miss it one bit.
 

Here are a couple of pictures I took as I made this recipe. In retrospect, I probably should have cut up the potatoes and cauliflower a bit more. I asked a LOT of my immersion blender!

 But low and behold, it delivered! This handy tool blended the entire pot of cooked potatoes and cauliflower with ease.

  Take a look at that! In the olden days before I got my immersion blender, I would attempt to pour hot liquid into my blender to puree it. As you can imagine, that did not always end well!

This soup is so delicious! I happen to love cauliflower but the taste is subtle enough that you'd almost never guess it was in there. And it makes a good amount: We had enough soup for two suppers and were sorry when it was gone! 
Hope you'll give this yummy -- and healthful -- recipe a try!
jp

2 comments:

Kimberly Marie said...

Mmmmm! I definitely think I'm going to make this soup! It's right up my alley. Dean doesn't like cauliflower, but since it's puréed in, and there'd be cheese and bacon, I'm hoping he won't even taste the cauliflower!

Janet said...

I think you'll love it, Kimberly Marie! The cauliflower taste is very mild, if any. He'll never guess! :) :)