22 April 2015

Recipe: Nifty Thrifty Cookies

I reorganized my recipes awhile back and because of this, I'm still discovering recipes I'd forgotten. A case in point is this recipe for Nifty Thrifty Cookies, given to me by my beloved first grade teacher at my bridal shower many moons ago. Everyone who came to the shower brought a recipe and, of course, I still have them all. I remember that Mrs. Teter also gave me two cereal-sized bowls which she said were only to be used for vegetables. I use them often. For cereal. :)

Mrs. Teter was one of those teachers who was always old. She was old when I had her for a first grade teacher, yet she still taught for several years after that. She was an old-fashioned teacher with lots of rules, but she was warm and caring and remains one of my all-time favorites.

Anyway, I was recently looking for a cookie recipe and took a minute to actually read this one. I guess I'd never made it past the title! Turns out that this is a recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, one of my very favorites! I can't quite figure out why they're called Nifty Thrifty Cookies. The ingredients don't seem especially thrifty to me, but I'm probably a poor judge of such things as I have one of the world's most poorly equipped pantries!

So back to the recipe. I love seeing Mrs. Teter's handwriting, (although I'm a bit concerned that she wrote "cooky" sheet. LOL) Her perfect penmanship takes me back to those days when our classroom was encircled by cursive writing borders. I tried my best to make my letters look just like the samples!

For the record, here is my first grade class, with Mrs. Teter in the top row at the left. I'm in the second row, second from the left. I've recently re-connected with several of the kids from my Kindergarten class, and we've had a great time reminiscing. Of course, I had to share this cookie recipe with them.


The cookies are nice and chewy, perfect with a cup of coffee. Or for breakfast. Or for a late night snack. And I can only imagine how good they would be with walnuts or pecans. Oh, my!
Mrs. Teter has been gone for several years now, but making her cookie recipe (albeit a few years late) was a nice journey down memory lane!
jp





1 comment:

Kimberly Marie said...

Will have to try these. They sound good!