08 April 2015

Fitness: The Slowest 5K Ever

It's been a long time since I've posted anything about my trips to the Dreaded Fitness Place. Yep, I'm still going. And yep, I'm still working on the eight-week Couch to 5K program. But it is taking me ever so long to make it through those eight weeks. 

I've done the whole C25K thing before but, for a variety of reasons, did not maintain that level of running. This time I decided to spend several days on each DAY of the program so that I truly build up my fitness level before moving on. After all, there is no rush. I'm not preparing for an actual race. My only competition is myself...and trust me, that's a good thing!

So this month I'm finally back up to Week 7, which is jogging 2.5 miles in 25 minutes without stopping. I can do this level pretty comfortably now and only have to stop if I've had too much water before arriving at the gym! LOL I only need to add 5 more minutes of running to be at the 3 mile (5K level). I'll be there in a couple of weeks!

Remember, I'm not at all athletic, so here are a few things that have kept me going:

* Invest in good running shoes. You can't run with just any old tennis shoes. I tried it. Good shoes completely eliminated my ankle and knee pain.

* Have a positive mindset. I've found that my emotional state affects my ability to run more than almost anything else. If I tell myself that today is the day I'm going to meet that goal, then I almost always get it done.

* Drink 3-4 full bottles of water over the hours before going to the gym. This is the ONLY thing that keeps me from getting a side cramp while running. I have no idea why drinking water prevents cramps but it does. I've tried everything else and this is the only way to go for me. 

* Watch crafting videos while running. :) Jennifer McGuire doesn't know it, but she is now my personal trainer!

When I finally make it to the 5K level, I hope to be able to sustain it and move on to longer programs. We'll see how that goes!
jp






7 comments:

Heather said...

Slow or not, that's great!! I can't jog 1/10 of a mile without stopping. I was trying to use that app to work myself up to it but stopped when the weather was too bad to get to the walking track. I really need to start back. You have inspired me!

Sarah Coggins said...

Always laugh when I read you calling it the "dreaded fitness place." I did C25K 3 years ago when training to run a 5K. I hadn't run in years and gave myself 16 weeks to complete the 8 weeks! I got through the actual race in 32-33(?) minutes. Checked it off the list and ended my running for the 3rd time in my life. I loved it in high school and did okay after college, but between a high school knee injury and having babies - my hips and knees just can't take it anymore. Huge props to you for continuing and pushing forward on this!

Kristina said...

I have been dealing with three separate injuries that have not let me exercise at the level I had been and it's done a number on me and my psyche. I'm going to try like the devil to start back soon. Funny thing...I've lost weight without exercise...go figure!

Janet said...

Heather - Thanks for dropping by! I think it's much, much harder to run outside. I can't do it well at all! The treadmill sort of pushes you along. I think going slow and building up your strength is key! Keep trying...if I can do it, you can, too! :)

Janet said...

Sarah - Thanks for dropping in! It's great that you ran a 5K after so many years! I think the key is finding something you enjoy. I'm surprised I like ANYTHING at the Dreaded Fitness Place! LOL Thanks for the encouragement! :)

Janet said...

Kristina -- Thanks for stopping by! You've always impressed me with your fitness. You're very active and I'm sure it is frustrating to not be able to exercise! Hope you can get back at it soon!

Jill said...

Oh man! I would be in the bathroom the entire time instead of exercising!!!!!!! But totally with you on the video!!!! I've been watching Sons of Anarchy while I exercise.