24 December 2012

Recipe: My Grandma's Snickerdoodles

 I'm the first to admit that I don't do much baking. Because I'm prone to all kinds of culinary mishaps, the exacting nature of baking makes it a very risky activity for me. In addition to my fear of failure, I have no self-control when it comes to cookies, so I'd rather not have them around to tempt me! But Bailey enjoys baking, so I gladly welcome the treats she makes. She's much handier than me in the kitchen -- my main job is to stay out of the way!

We recently dug through the cupboards to see if we had all the ingredients to make my grandma's Snickerdoodle Cookies and surprisingly, we did! Grandma is 101 years old, so you know that this is a tried and true recipe. Snickerdoodles are not specifically for Christmas, but my grandma often makes them around the holidays.

Snickerdoodles
1 cup shortening (we used 2 sticks of butter--that's why they're so good!)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cinnamon and sugar to coat the cookies

-- Instructions --
 Mix the first 3 ingredients (shortening, sugar, eggs) until creamy. Add the remaining ingredients and mix.

 Mix up a bowl of cinnamon and sugar to your liking (start with a small amount of sugar and add in cinnamon to taste). Shape the dough into small walnut-sized balls then roll them in the cinnamon/sugar mixture until coated.

  Bake at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes. Don't overbake.
 

 Now just TRY not to eat them all in one day!

No comments: