07 May 2009

Recipe: French's Crunchy Onion Chicken

I'm not a huge fan of onions, especially the dried, crunchy ones you find on top of the dreaded green bean casserole at Thanksgiving time. (I'll admit that I'm even a little bit scared of that casserole...) So my sharing a recipe featuring crunchy onions comes as a surprise.

This all came about today when, in a desperate effort to cook something Daughter would actually eat, I thumbed through the pages of a recent issue of Better Homes & Gardens and ran across an ad for French's Crunchy Onions. The ad included a recipe for a chicken dish, which Daughter proclaimed she MIGHT eat. SOLD! Off to the store I ran to pick up the ingredients.

And to my surprise, this dish was actually good! Everyone ate it, including Daughter AND Spouse -- a very unusual occurrence around here. This recipe is a keeper!

Please note that the photo shown here is from the French's website...not my kitchen!

French’s Crunchy Onion Chicken


Ingredients:
2 cups (4 oz.) FRENCH'S® Original or Cheddar French Fried Onions
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
4 (5 oz.) boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 egg, beaten

Directions:

1.Place French Fried Onions and flour into plastic bag. Lightly crush with hands or with rolling pin. Transfer to pie plate or waxed paper.
2.Dip chicken into egg; then coat with onion crumbs, pressing firmly to adhere. Place chicken on baking sheet.
3.Bake at 400°F for 20 min. or until no longer pink in center.

7 comments:

Heather said...

OK So I have a strong aversion to onions...at least fresh ones. I hate them. I think it's the texture mostly. However, the "dried, crunchy ones" I can handle. Surprisingly, I actually like that green bean casserole! LOL So, I think I would probably like that chicken. By the way, did you use the regular or the cheddar onions?

Lori C said...

I use this recipe all the time. It definitely is a keeper.

Janet said...

Heather, I'm the same way! BUT the crunchy ones don't taste oniony to me, especially when cooked. I used the regular ones, not the cheddar -- only because I don't care for cheddar cheese. We were all surprised at how good this was! :-)

Janet said...

Lori - This is good to know! I've made several of the recipes from your blog! I trust your opinion! :-)

Judy said...

I love this recipe and have used it quite often. The chicken come out so moist and tender. I'm glad that your family thought it was a keeper.

Kristina said...

I made this recipe before also. It's pretty good! I like using corn flakes as breading too.

Jill said...

That does look yummy. I'd probably do it with crushed all natural organic stuffing or bread crumbs instead, which I would then coat right onto the hormone filled chicken breasts...

It's tricky finding things everyone likes, isn't it? It was hard enough when it was just me and the kids, but now that we're FIVE people, it's next to impossible. I actually keep a list on the computer of dinners and who did and didn't like them, so I can choose a menu based on who's not home that night. Egads, I'm getting WAY too domesticated...is this a disease??????????