02 May 2009

First flowers of the season


One of the things I most look forward to each growing season is being able to pick flowers from the yard and bring them indoors. There's nothing like a pitcher of fresh lilacs or a casual gathering of colorful zinnias in a simple vase. In a week or two, I'll be able to pick tiny bouquets of lilies of the valley. Their strong, distinct scent reminds me of springtime in Paris, where street vendors sell the delicate white flowers in paper cones.

The bluebells pictured here were given to me by my late grandma, an avid gardener whose yard was dotted with them every April. I started a few plants in front of our house and look forward to their colorful blooms each spring.

6 comments:

Lida said...

Your flowers are soo pretty, we cant brin flowers in the house or the cats eat them, Do Tinsel and Lily do?

mborrero said...

Happy NSD day. I have a RAK link on my blog. just leave a comment on link to win

Heather said...

Very pretty! I have some irises blooming out front but can't bring myself to cut them and bring them inside.

katie said...

Reminds you of Paris, huh....

Janet said...

Lida - Thanks! Tinsel and Lily smell them but they don't eat them. Now Lily eats carpet and everything else but not flowers!

Melina and Heather - Thanks! Hope you had a good NSD! Heather, we have irises but not in bloom yet. I love them!

KATIE!! STOP right there!! lol THIS particular memory is wholesome and sweet...not like the one we discussed! lol

Cheri said...

I didn't know bluebells grew around here! Hm...need to get me some! Love blue flowers:)