01 October 2007

Hello...LA Weight Loss Center?

I was getting my hair cut this morning when my cell phone rang. It was Spouse.

"You need to get home right away and take care of this."

"What?"

"What your cat did."

He proceeded to tell me that Lily had knocked the container of food off the counter, spilling the contents all over the kitchen. (Remember, folks, this is the plastic container I use so that Lily doesn't gnaw a hole in the side of the food bag.) When Spouse came upon the mess, Lily was lying in the middle of it, presumably too full to eat any more, and Tinsel was sampling a few pieces around the edges, completely taking advantage of the windfall.

From his description, I knew it was bad, but I was still a bit shocked when I walked into the kitchen. Food was everywhere, in some places two inches deep. It was in the bathroom, in the family room, and under the fridge. As I surveyed the situation, Lily sauntered down the stairs, her belly bulging. She nibbled a few pieces and then waddled away. I have never seen Lily walk away from food. That could only mean one thing, and I'm guessing you know what that is.

I swept up the food and poured it back into the container. It was then that the shock really hit: The container had been full when I left the house this morning. Now, the food level was down four inches. Four inches! That represents a couple of days of food rations for these kitties, scarfed down in less than an hour.

Needless to say, they're on a water-only diet for the next day or so. And the food container will be moved to an undisclosed location.

7 comments:

Heather said...

Oh no! LOL!!!!!!!!

Maureen said...

Well, it could have been worse. You could also have found already eaten food that she couldn't keep down.

Actually, good for you cats are better than dogs in that respect. They stop before they make themselves sick.

Dontcha just LOVE it when the spouse calls you over to clean up the mess the pets make? Heaven forbid they should have to clean up poop, hairballs, or worse....

Lynn said...

OMG! that Lily is something else. She will try anything at least once. She is just like a 2 year old.
I have to agree with Maureen. I just love it when dh calls and says your (in my case, dog) has done something and he won't clean up whatever it is. Men!

Janet said...

You guys, it was AWFUL! Lily's tummy was absolutely stuffed full and bulging!! But you're right, Maureen...it could have been worse! Now in fairness to spouse, he was leaving for work so didn't have alot of time, but I asked if he would at least throw a rug over the food so she'd stop eating it...he wouldn't even do that!! So she got an additional 30 minutes to eat while I drove home! Grrr....

Jill said...

:-0 :-0 :-0 I hate it when they eat the hole in the side of the bag.

Oooh and grrrrr on the rung thing!!!!!!!!!!! Goodness gravies - he was already THERE!

Linda said...

Oh my! Animals are so funny and so much like having a toddler. Hopefully Lily won't find your new location of the food.

Darcey said...

I love your cat stories!