15 November 2018

Washington D.C. Album - Part 2

As I reported a few days ago, I recently finished the scrapbooking for my daughter's 7th grade school trip to Washington, D.C. To put this in perspective, she has been TEACHING 7th graders for 4 years now! This is an illustration of how far behind I am with my scrapbooking...and it's actually even worse than that.

But there's no sense dwelling on it. There's only one way to rectify it: Make time to get it done! So I didn't even put away my D.C. scrapbooking materials because I also have a family D.C. trip to scrapbook...while all of those monuments and memorials are fresh in my mind!

The photos from our family trip were printed many moons ago so I started by sorting them into date order. The good news is that they're all printed in 4x6 size, which means they can be slipped into pockets with no matting. This is a very big deal, folks! It makes that part of the process VERY SPEEDY and the completed pocket pages are far less bulky. YIPPEE!

Next, I sorted through all of the memorabilia I had saved from this trip. Unfortunately, I didn't write on any of the photos at the time I printed them, nor did I write out an itinerary of what we did each day. Luckily, the memorabilia helped me figure all of that out.

To set up this album, I used the same process I used for the previous D.C. trip. I put most of the photos into pocket pages of various configurations, reserving a few for traditional 12x12 pages. I just slipped those photos into full sleeves for now.

I LOVE these Project Life dividers! They have space for a label at the top which sticks up slightly above the pages. They've been awesome in my family history albums to divide up the family sections. In this album, the divider will separate the two trips to D.C.

After filling all of the pocket pages and finding a "home" for all of the photos, I could verify that all of the pages will fit into the same album with the 7th grade trip. YAY!

Because the 4x6 photos fit readily into the pockets, it saved a ton of time. I had all the photos into the album after just one evening's work.

I interspersed the memorabilia very roughly in place so I'll be sure to remember to add it in some way.

Now that everything is in the album, I'll go back and make the 12x12 pages and do the journaling which will largely consist of photo captions. These pages should be quick and easy to finish up!
After I finish this D.C. trip, I am planning to work on a vacation we took to Seattle and Vancouver in 2005 (!!) then return to my chronological and family history albums. 

To those of you who are behind like me: Be encouraged!
 Let's GIT-R-DONE!
jp

2 comments:

Kimberly Marie said...

So there ARE pages with both vertical as well as horizontal photo pockets! Yay! How quick and convenient these pages made it in putting this album together. The pages with the tabs on top sound very handy, too. Congrats on a job well done! The remaining captions, etc should be easy to do when you have the time, because it looks like you got the hard part done!

Janet said...

Hi, Kimberly! So sorry I again missed your comment! Yes, you can find a few of those pages out there but not many. These are by Becky Higgins. Hope that helps....so sorry I didn't see your comment earlier!! :)