21 November 2018

Found Treasure: Doll Clothes Trunk

For the past couple of years, I've had a case at a local antique mall. Anyone in that business will tell you that it's not an easy road -- most young people aren't interested in antiques, and the old people who WOULD be interested are often in the process of downsizing their own collections. As such, my case is far from a money-making endeavor. But it has given me a way to find new homes for some of my own items as well as small pieces from my parents' estate.

From time to time, I pick up a treasure or two at a garage sale or thrift store to sell in my case. I try to keep that to a minimum because the whole point of the case is to sell my OWN stuff...not somebody else's! But recently I made a quick stop at a local thrift store and found something I could not resist: An old vintage trunk filled with doll clothes. I was in a hurry and didn't have time to look at the clothing closely but for the low price, it was worth taking a chance.

Back home, I hoped I hadn't made a mistake with my hasty purchase. The trunk itself had some rust and scuff marks. The clothing was heaped in a messy pile. What was once a child's treasure had somehow lost a lot of its dignity, relegated to the back corner of a thrift store.

 But with a little bit of elbow grease, the trunk cleaned up nicely and the remaining scuff marks just added to its charm. What's more, the clothing was actually in wonderful condition. Once ironed, every piece looked delightful, the vintage colors evoking an era long past. Every piece was handmade, and not a single button or snap was missing. 

In addition to the clothing, there were several pairs of shoes, moccasins, and even a fur wrap. In the drawer were three small bars of hotel soap and yellow pin box full of pretty buttons. I could imagine that a little girl would use those items when playing with her dolls -- because I once did the same thing with MY dolls. So I left everything in the drawers just as she had done. I could tell that this little girl must have loved her trunk and clothing very much. It made me feel good to help restore its dignity.
 
  
Although I was tempted to keep it, I have many dolls of my own so I decided that I would prepare the trunk as best I could for a new owner. After cleaning the case, I fashioned a festive holiday bow for the top and hung the clothing up for display. With a little TLC, this vintage trunk and clothing set is now as sweet as can be.

This little trunk is now in my case at the antique mall, awaiting a new owner. I'm hoping that it will find a spot under a Christmas tree this holiday season and some little girl -- or mama of a certain age! -- will be just as delighted with it as I'm sure the original owner was.

jp

UPDATE: The trunk has gone to a new home! I hope it brings a smile this holiday season!


2 comments:

Kimberly Marie said...

Wow! What a great find. I love it when that happens! My brother in law used to go to estate sales and buy all sorts of older items, including dolls, in lots. Then he’d turn around and auction them off on eBay individually and make a tidy sum! Wishing you all the best!

Janet said...

Thanks for stopping by, Kimberly!
Like your BIL, I have sold a few things on eBay and you can make some good money that way but it sure takes a lot of time to do both the "picking" at sales and the selling. I have found that having a space at the antique store is easier! I'm such a sentimental girl that I have a hard time not keeping things I find!! LOL This trunk was a real temptation to keep, but I'm glad it now has a new home. :)