11 November 2018

Catching Up on Scrapbooking: DC Album Finished!

 Hey, kids! I recently posted about the super-fast DC album project I had started, and I'm happy to report that after just a few more hours of work this weekend...it's finished! Any scrapbooker knows that a finished album is something to celebrate!😃

As scrapbooking projects go, this one was not greatly important to me but STILL, I wanted the trip to be documented and the photos safely tucked away in an album. So I didn't spend a lot of time on adding details to the pages because -- realistically -- it's not going to see the light of day very often. I kept everything very simple with minimal embellishments and journaling. I made ample use of pocket pages with just a few traditional 12x12 pages so I was able to work through the project very quickly.

 For this trip, I made around 24 full-size pages (including traditional and pocket pages) plus a few 8.5x11 and 6x12 pages. The pages for this trip do not fill an entire album, so I'm planning to put at least part of our family D.C. trip in the same book.

 I found a couple of patterned papers at Memory Bound which I used on a few pages, as well as some layered die cut titles. I can't emphasize how awesome these layered die cuts are for adding just that little "something" to a page with no effort at all! We have these die cuts custom made for us in tons of different themes.

 They are all laser-cut and assembled by hand, and the detail is amazing! If you've never looked at them when shopping at Memory Bound, be sure to check them out! (If you live out of the area, we happily ship anything you might need!)
 

In addition to pocket pages, I used a very simple page design that I borrowed from my recent Disney album and repeated it whenever I needed a 12x12 page. This design will easily accommodate 3-4 pictures or postcards with a little tweaking. 
 

Here it is again with 4 photos.

 I also used a second design which worked great for 5 photos.
 

 With Veterans' Day upon us, it was really interesting to take a closer look at all the photos of Washington, D.C. memorials. This was a whirlwind 4-day school trip, but the organizers somehow managed to take the kids to tons of different memorials and statues. To finish up this album, I read more about them and learned/re-learned a few things myself!
 

In addition to the D.C. part of the trip, the kids also toured Mount Vernon, Jamestown Settlement, and Williamsburg. 

Jamestown is one of my favorite places to visit! We had visited that area a few years prior to this trip...and thankfully, that trip is already scrapbooked!
 

This 7th grade school trip sparked Bailey's interest in learning more about the history of our country, so we planned a family trip the following summer. I'm glad this trip is now scrapbooked and can be enjoyed for years to come.

Thanks for stopping by! If you're a scrapbooker, I hope you'll find a little bit of encouragement in these posts. It IS possible to go back and finish that backlog of scrapbooking!
jp



3 comments:

Kimberly Marie said...

Your projects always look so wonderful, Janet! You're really making progress, which is more than I can say for myself in the picture album / scrapbook department. I have been looking at a couple craft stores and elsewhere for picture sleeves that have both horizontal and vertical pockets on the same page, but can't seem to find them! I always hate to have to turn the album sideways to look at the pictures put in the horizontal pockets that really should go in vertical ones!

Janet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janet said...

Thank you so much, Kimberly! I'm so sorry I completely missed your comment. I agree about the pocket pages...I've only found a couple of companies with "mixed" pockets. The ones in my album are by Becky Higgins which you can order online!