After living with my craft room for awhile now, one of the things I've noticed is that I lack surface areas for projects. I have two small tables in the room, but much of the available work surface is taken up by supplies. When my daughter was home over Christmas break, we spent quite a lot of time working on her summer camp album on the floor because there wasn't enough room to spread out on the tables.
As we worked on her project, we talked about possible solutions to this problem and decided that one big help would be to double my cube space. I've had my Target cubes for awhile, but when I re-organized my craft area I purchased canvas drawers which filled them, completely eliminating any surface area within the cubes for supplies such as ribbon jars or decorative items. So I decided I would get two additional cube units to place back to back with my existing cubes, freeing up some of the cubes for "stand alone" supplies.
BEFORE: Two cube units with every space filled. The canvas bins are great, but they're not workable for every type of crafting supply. In addition, I really wanted some "open" space in the cube units for variety.
Unfortunately, life has been complicated in the past few months, so I hadn't had a chance to buy the new cubes and put them in place. Enter Dear Daughter, who decided new cubes would make a great Mother's Day present, and she was right! She even assembled them for me. It doesn't get any better than that!
Here's how the new DOUBLE cubes look! I now have four units which are placed back to back, doubling the number of compartments from 12 to 24. We spread my 12 canvas bins around to fill the 24 slots, leaving 12 slots for additional supplies which previously took up table space elsewhere in the room. And now I have additional space on top of the shelves to spread out projects when I'm working.
AFTER: Space inside the cubes for supplies.
AFTER: More storage space on the back side. Now the stamps which previously took up space on my table are inside the cubes.
As you can see, I haven't quite filled up the space within the cubes yet, as I am still moving stuff around. And I need to move the units closer together so I don't have the gap between them. But I'm very pleased with the new configuration. It's a small change which makes a huge difference!