06 March 2014

Crock Pot Recipe: Corn Chowder

Over the past few days, I finished packing up my grandma's house. Of particular interest to me was her kitchen. There was nothing of great value there, but there were a few things I wanted to keep which will always remind me of her. One such item was her potato masher. Grandma (who is 102 now) has lived her life eating all the things we're not supposed to eat all that often, notably bread and potatoes. Every time I talked to her, it seemed she was making baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, or potato salad. Since I didn't have a potato masher (somehow I have survived all this time without one!), I tucked her well-worn utensil in my bag to take home.

This week I put the potato masher to good use with a recipe I've had in my binder for quite some time. I had never made this recipe because...wait for it...I didn't have a potato masher! :) 

This recipe for Corn Chowder can go into your crock pot when you leave for work and it'll be ready when you get home. Comfort food at its best.

And here's a secret: In typical fashion, I didn't read the recipe carefully and just dumped in all the ingredients at once -- not noticing that the half and half and butter are to be added in the final 30 minutes. OOPS! I fished out the butter patties but there was no way to extract the liquid! And guess what? It worked just fine. So there's a time saver for ya! :)
 
 
Corn Chowder (source: Crockingirls.com)

Ingredients
6-8 potatoes (peeled and diced) -- I only used 3 large ones because my crock pot is small. I'd recommend more potatoes if you can fit them in your crock pot!
1 can cream corn
1 can whole kernel corn
2 cups chicken broth
8 ounces diced ham
1 cups diced onions
1/4 Cups butter
2 cups half and half 

Directions
Place potatoes, both cans of corn, chicken broth, ham, and onions into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 7-8 hours. Mash the mixture to your desired consistency and then add the butter and half and half. Cook for an additional 30 minutes on high, and you are set!




No comments: