31 October 2012

Trick or Treat!

It's Halloween, one of my favorite times of the year!
 

I've always enjoyed Halloween, especially costumes and decorating, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm not too patient when it comes to carving pumpkins. This year I only managed to carve one of the large pumpkins we bought and although I considered doing a more elaborate design, I waited until the last minute so had to revert to my standard pumpkin face. But even the simplest pumpkin is transformed into a festive jack-o-lantern with a candle!


 

In our area, Trick-or-Treat is called Beggars' Night and is held on October 30. This tradition started in the 1940's as a means of reducing vandalism on October 31. Children are also expected to tell a joke or perform a trick before receiving a treat....and I hold them to it! For the most part, kids oblige with a joke or riddle.

Best jokes of the night:
Why did the spider get on the computer?  

He wanted to surf the web.

What sits at the bottom of the sea and shakes?  
A nervous wreck.

 

I wasn't sure how many kids to expect last night, as the number really seems to vary from year to year. As it turned out, we didn't have all that many trick-or-treaters, so unfortunately I ended up with quite a bit of leftover candy. 

Lucky for the kids, I didn't have to resort to oatmeal packets like I did one year when I ran out of candy! I thought it was a great idea at the time, as did the moms who were tagging along with trick-or-treaters, but when Bailey came home from trick-or-treating and found out about it, she most certainly did not agree. And she got all kinds of grief the next day on the school bus. "Hey, your mom gave out OATMEAL!"

I told my Memory Bound friends about the oatmeal and they wouldn't let me live it down: They gave me cute packages of oatmeal and an adorable "I want OATMEAL!" bag with REAL oatmeal! Too funny!


Whenever you celebrate, and whatever treats you get in your bag...Happy Halloween, everyone!
jp

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Ha! Oatmeal? That's hilarious... okay, maybe not for the daughter... hope you had a fun Halloween Janet!