14 February 2011

Recipe: Orange Chipotle Chicken

We just returned from a wonderful weekend visiting our daughter at Indiana University. I'll try to post some photos from our visit tomorrow. Meanwhile, here's another recipe I'd like to share. If you're looking for something to make for dinner tonight, this would be a good choice.

In a recent blog post, I mentioned picking up a copy of Clean Eating magazine. I had Spouse look through it and pick out a few recipes to try. So far, everything we've tried has been great but this one worried me a little bit. I normally don't care to mix sweet with savory flavors, but I decided to give it a whirl. I was pleasantly surprised! This recipe is very easy to make and not overly sweet at all. It's another keeper!

Of course I forgot to take a photo of the completed dish at dinner that night, so here's a photo from the magazine. It didn't look quite this good when I made it, but it was close! :)


Orange Chipotle Chicken with Cilantro Rice
(
Clean Eating magazine)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 tsp chile powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp sea salt, divided (I used regular salt)
1 tsp safflower oil (I used olive oil)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound), rinsed, patted dry and pounded to 1/2-inch thick
Juice of 1 medium navel orange (or 1/2 cup orange juice)
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 tsp chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (IMPORTANT! Use just 1 TEASPOON -- not 1 CAN, as I did recently when making a different recipe. YIKES!)
1 tsp orange zest
2 cups cooked brown rice
1/4 packed cup chopped cilantro leaves

In a small bowl, combine chile powder, cumin, and 1/4 tsp salt. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet on medium-high. Tilt to coat bottom lightly. Season both sides of the chicken with spice mixture and cook for 3 minutes per side or until no longer pink in the center. Remove from skillet and set aside.

Add orange juice and syrup to the pan juice and cook for 1 minute to thicken slightly (until it measures 1/4 cup liquid), stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in chipotle, chiles, and orange zest. Add chicken back to skillet and cook for 1 minute on medium-high heat, turning constantly.

In a medium bowl, combine rice, cilantro, and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt. Serve chicken over rice and spoon any excess glaze over top of the chicken pieces.

No comments: