01 February 2011

Recipe: Moroccan Vegetarian Stew

When I lived in Paris during college, we often ate at a little Moroccan restaurant just down the street from our dorm on Boulevard Raspail. The food was cheap and quite different than anything I'd ever tried back in Iowa. The atmosphere also appealed to college students who were far from home and trying to live "la vie Boheme". I have vivid memories of our little group sitting on pillows around low tables in the dimly lit restaurant, sampling exotic new foods and chatting with other students from all over the world.

Since that time, I've had a fondness for Moroccan food but it's been many years since I've made it myself. Last week, I ran across a recipe for Moroccan Vegetarian Stew and thought I'd give it a try. Colorful, healthful, and incredibly aromatic, this kind of dish is wonderful served over couscous. And I have to say that the aroma of the stew simmering on the stove was ALMOST powerful enough to transport me back to those days in Paris.


Moroccan Vegetarian Stew (Taste of Home magazine)

1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. salt ** (I added a bit more)
3 cups water
1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 medium carrots, sliced
3 plum tomatoes, chopped
2 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans (chick peas), rinsed and drained

In a Dutch oven (I used a large stock pot), saute onion in oil until tender. Add spices and salt; cook 1 minute longer. (You won't believe how good this smells!)

Stir in the water, squash, potatoes, carrots, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes and squash are almost tender.

Add zucchini and chickpeas; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 5-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve over couscous or with warm pita bread. Add a dollop of yogurt or sour cream on top to cool it down. (Some may find this recipe spicy; I did not.)

1 comment:

Kristina said...

I'd love it, it looks great, but the spouse wouldn't touch it...he hates stews and rarely eats soup. Still can't figure out why I married him...lol