13 July 2008

Fresh lemonade

My friend, Sharon, mentioned recently that her husband was whipping up a batch of fresh lemonade. This inspired me to give it a try. I always drink the lemonade at our state fair each summer. It's made with lemons and a bit of orange, too. It's really, really good (but way too expensive). When I lived in France during college, I used to drink fresh lemonade all the time. I don't know why I've never tried to make it...

...especially since, believe it or not, I have an electric juicer. It's only been used a couple of times to make orange juice. Of course, it works for lemonade, too.

The first step is to buy the lemons. It takes a LOT of lemons to make a modest amount of lemonade. I think a person should start with 10-12 lemons. Of course, when I saw the price of lemons, I only purchased four. :-)

Four lemons resulted a scant 10 ounces of juice. Don't drink it yet! It is very, very sour. :-) To this lemon juice, we added 1 cup of water and sugar to taste (at least 1/2 cup).

Pour over ice and drink. We ended up with two glasses of lemonade from this experiment. There wasn't much of it, but it was very yummy on a hot day.

6 comments:

Krissynae said...

It does sound good. I was looking at it when we were in the fridge section. Now you are making my mouth water..

Heather said...

I love fresh lemonade. It's very popular at all the fairs and such here in MN in the summer. And it is way too expensive also!

Ryzmomplus2 said...

Oh that looks yummy! I love getting the fresh lemonade, though it usually only happens during fair time...

mborrero said...

Delicious i felt the cool ice cubes as i read this post

Sarah Coggins said...

Yum! That looks so refreshing. :)

toners said...

Looks and sounds delicious!! I may have to give that a try :)