27 March 2008
Please don't eat the kitty litter
Recently, I've been trying a few different kitty litter brands in one of our litter boxes in an effort to please Tinsel, who has developed an occasional aversion to Fresh Step Scoopable Multi-Cat Litter.
So what's the most important feature when purchasing kitty litter, you ask?
It must be non-toxic. As in non-toxic should a cat happen to eat it.
My concern with toxicity stems from last year's summer vacation, when Tinsel and Lily went to stay at Grandma and Grandpa's house. Grandma had purchased a bag of Fresh Step Crystals. We found Lily, muzzle deep in the litter box, blue and white crystals all over her face. It was unclear how many pretty crystals she had eaten.
Knowing Lily's history of eating things she shouldn't (carpet, paper, drywall...), I was somewhat concerned when the vet suggested I try an inexpensive bag of clay litter for Tinsel. We concluded that Lily most likely would not eat clay, so I purchased a bag. But no sooner than I filled the litter box, I found her eating that, too. Clay is not a good thing for her to ingest, so out to the garage went the bag.
My latest purchase was this bag of natural wheat litter. I was fairly certain she'd at least taste it, but since it is completely non-toxic, I wasn't as concerned. We actually love the litter, and Tinsel seems to like it, too. Her litter box "issues" have stopped. And even better, Lily hasn't shown an interest in it at all, so I concluded my problems were solved. Or at least I thought they were...
Last night, I cleaned the litter box and filled it with fresh wheat litter. This morning, I heard some odd noises coming from that vicinity and sure enough, there was Lily, face deep in it. She looked up at me, licking litter from her chops, as if to say, "What's the problem?"
And she's got a point. It probably tastes just about like the cereal I had for breakfast this morning.
Although it's non-toxic, I think I'll take her word for it.