19 March 2007

My Hero

I've been working on class projects for the past several days, proceeding at the speed of very old, sticky molasses.

This one is finally done, and I'm very excited about it. I used a Karen Foster chipboard album, trimmed the pages in graduated fashion, then removed half of them and attached them to the back cover using rings. This album is actually based on the one I made awhile back for myself about achieving order in my life. (Hey, how's that going for you, BTW? Gee, not very well, thank you.)

Perhaps the theme of this album is more realistic than achieving order in one's life: Choose someone who has been a hero to you in some way and make an album to celebrate that person. At the time I was picking out paper to make this project, DD was working on a mammoth English project about a hero in her own life. (Rather than Martin Luther, Jimmy Carter, or ME, she thoughtfully chose J.K. Rowling, which of course necessitated spending extensive time on various Harry Potter websites doing "research". As one might imagine, the amount of "research" being conducted was the subject of considerable debate at our house.) Serendipitously, I selected the Scenic Route Metropolis line for the project and, under the heading of "Art Imitates Life", decided that the hero concept actually did have some merit.

I'll be anxious to hear from students who they select as their hero. I'm expecting people to choose fathers, mothers, grandparents, teachers, and friends. I hope to hear stories about how these heroes have been an inspiration and guiding light. I expect I'll learn of triumph over adversity and persistence in the face of great difficulty. Really, there should be no need to check Harry Potter websites.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

What a great project idea! I love the pp line you used. Just awesome.

Jill said...

How funny on the JK Rowling research methods! VERY pretty album!!!!!! Jill (pea Jill_Ilene)