08 November 2019

Feline Friday: It's a No Go

As I shared last week, Lily is doing well following her recent trip to the ER. The emergency vet suggested we do another urinalysis after her 2-week stint of antibiotics and this was the week for me to make that happen.


In talking with our regular vet, we agreed that Lily should not come back to see him unless it was truly necessary -- because we're trying to keep her in the stress-free zone to prevent a re-occurrence of the cystitis. He suggested trying non-absorbent cat litter to collect a urine sample, or even seeing if she would go potty in an empty litter box.

I dutifully ordered No-Sorb, which comes with six small collection cups. I emptied three into the litter box, which didn't amount to much but I figured would be sufficient to get the job done. 😉

 

Turns out Lily will NOT -- under any circumstances -- step on the black plastic pellets! I placed her in the box so she'd get the idea, and the little pellets clung to her feet which created a whole new kind of stress. I could see from the get go that this was going to be a NO GO.


Undaunted, I stayed home one afternoon and limited her litterbox access to this one. After a few hours I heard her howling in the living room -- an ominous sign. I immediately replaced the litterbox with her regular one and -- sure enough -- she went potty in it immediately.

So the vet agrees that we're just going to skip the urinalysis for now. She is doing fine and obviously will not cooperate with my "sample collection" program. I'll keep a close eye on her, as usual, and if anything changes we'll address it right away.

Back to our normal programming! Lily says WHEW!

Happy Feline Friday, y'all!
jp and Lily

No comments: