01 June 2018

Feline Friday: The Importance of Playtime


 Happy Feline Friday! 
In today's post, I want to address a topic which I think is especially important for older kitties: PLAY. 

Let's face it: Kitties tend to get a bit lazy in their older years. Lily spends much of her time napping, and it's (too) easy for me to just let her do that.
 

 But I've recently been reading more about the importance of playtime for cats -- not only for exercise but also for mental stimulation. Indoor kitties lack the mental stimulation their outdoor cousins get through hunting, so it's up to their humans to provide it.

I'll confess I've gotten a bit lax over the years in providing intentional playtime for my cats. Tinsel adored playtime, much more than Lily, so in the year since she's been gone, I've had to remind myself to set aside 15 minutes or more each day just to play with Lily. If I don't "make" her play, she'll just get lazier and lazier...and that's not good for her health!

While Tinsel was with us, Lily would often sit to the side and watch her interact with me as if she were learning how to play. Now she enjoys some of the same games that Tinsel used to love. Her favorite is when I pull a string so that it disappears under a blanket...then she POUNCES (just like Tinsel) to grab it before it's gone from sight.
 

Lily has quite a large play/lounge area which often sprawls out into our family room. :)

 She has a box of toys, most of which are ribbons, pom poms, and mice of various sizes.

 Since we've been playing every day, Lily has come to look forward to it. She'll often sit next to her toy box (just like Tinsel used to do), signaling me that she's ready to play! 

When she really gets wound up, she "bunny kicks" with her back legs on her Expensive Cat Basket, making it turn like a Lazy Susan! It's one of the cutest things ever!

 If you're not playing with your kitty regularly, there's no time like TODAY -- FELINE FRIDAY -- to start! It may take a little time to discover the kinds of games your kitty enjoys, but I'm betting that in no time at all, your kitty will be looking forward to spending quality playtime with you!
 
This post was approved by Lily!
jp



2 comments:

Kimberly Marie said...

Yes, you're absolutely right, Janet. I have to admit, I've been negligent in playing with my kitties for quite some time. But I do give them some crinkly play toys, and aluminum foil balls (yes, aluminum foil wadded up into a ball) which they just LOVE!! Often, in the middle of the day, I hear it being batted around on the basement floor, then, usually Missie, will pick it up in her teeth and carry it all the way up the basement stairs to bat it around some more on our tile kitchen floor! It really is the funniest thing.... :D

Kimberly Marie said...

P.S. I like the little changes you made to your page! At least I think you made a change or two, if my memory serves me right!! Lol.