18 April 2018

It's Spring in Texas!

This was the scene in our neighborhood a couple of days ago. The snow did melt, but now it's snowing again. Winter just won't give up!
 
It may still be be winter in Iowa but I can assure you that it's spring in Texas! On the first full day of my recent visit, Daughter and I went to a local greenhouse to pick up flowers, vegetables, and herbs to plant. We spent the afternoon potting up everything and now her balcony looks like spring!
 

  It was fun to go to a greenhouse in a different part of the country. There were several varieties of plants, flowers, and trees which we don't have here in the Midwest.

And some flowers which only work in pots around here thrive year-round in Texas. I felt like I was in the tropics!

 Imagine having bougainvillea like these in your yard!

 Check out the size of these pots! You know what they say...everything's bigger in Texas! 
 

  I saw succulents galore and in varieties far surpassing any greenhouse in these parts. Of course, succulents thrive outdoors in Texas.

And check out this huge hanging thing! It appeared to be some sort of massive palm.

This hibiscus was as big as a dinner plate. Gorgeous color!

 And of course we found all the zinnias you could possibly want! We took a few home with us.
 

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that this transplanted Iowa girl is making her own compost now. It is rich and black, much like Iowa soil -- very different than the red and sandy dirt in Texas. She had quite a bit of this good stuff to mix into the potting soil. I'm expecting good things to happen with this compost!

It was a beautiful day for planting up all the pots!
  
When we were done, we put our feet up and enjoyed the view!
 

 Even Rory has a nice view of the flowers from her cat tree.

What a lovely place for morning coffee! Unfortunately, the weather got a little cold during the rest of my stay, but I enjoyed a couple of nice mornings out on the balcony.

I only wish I could have brought some of that warm spring weather back home with me!
 Come on, spring! 😊
jp

No comments: