28 July 2014

Goodbye, Canon! :(

Several months ago, right in the middle of a class project, my beloved Canon wide-format printer stopped. Just STOPPED, midway through a line of beautiful brown text. I was SICK. I've had this printer for many years and have often said that if my house were burning down, it would be one of the many things I'd grab. Such is my love for this printer.

Even though I ran every diagnostic test possible, I could not be absolutely certain of the problem. Unfortunately, Canon no longer makes or supports the i9900 printer, so it's impossible to find anything but refurbished parts. And although I seriously considered it, why spend over $100 for a used part on eBay when it might not even fix the problem? For months, I put up with annoying "work arounds" for my wide-format printing while I resigned myself to the fact that it was time to let go of my favorite tool.

Given that my entire world is formatted in 12"x12", it's hard for me to accept the fact that there aren't just aren't many wide-format printers on the market. It seems that not very many people need to print anything other than 8.5" widths. There were no wide-format printers available in local stores for me to try, other than hulking office models which copy, print, and possibly brew a pot of coffee. So when my friend Katie told me she loves her Epson Artisan 1430, I checked out reviews and decided to order it online.

And here it is! Move over, -- WAY over! -- Canon: Epson has arrived!
 

 It prints beautifully (although not quite as sharply as the Canon...*sigh*...) and most importantly in wide format. But it is MASSIVE compared to my Canon. So large that it will not fit on my printer stand. But it is wireless so theoretically, I could put it most anywhere in the house. My plan is to replace my printer stand with something wider which can house the printer on the top shelf and my Silhouette Cameo on the shelf below.
Meanwhile, my Canon sits on the floor in the corner of the room, ready to go to the electronics recycling center. That's definitely a job for Spouse. I do not have the heart to do it. Goodbye, Canon! You have served me well! 
jp

No comments: