30 July 2014

Bar Cart: Part 1 - Parts & Pieces

 Remember this?

Now it looks like this:

I know...Oooh! Ahhh! NOT! I've been slow starting this project, but at least now things are sort of underway!

Gentle blog readers, you surely know by now that I'm not a great DIYer (if that's a word). While my dad could fix just about anything, I apparently inherited none of his skills. I am pretty much tool-impaired, so when I get the idea to do a project, I usually need a lot of help. Still, I'm hoping that I'll be able to do most of this project on my own. We'll see!

In order to make the cleaning and subsequent spray painting process easier, I decided to disassemble the cart. I could tell that I would need some type of tool to loosen the nut (not sure if that's the right term!) around the screws on each leg.

I peered into Spouse's tool box and found a couple of possibilities. This one did nothing for me.

But this tool -- presumably some type of wrench -- did the trick! I was able to tighten the clamp so it fit right onto the nut, then I loosened and removed all of the hardware connecting the legs to the two shelves. I even remembered to save all of the nuts and screws so I can re-use or replace them. (At least I hope I didn't leave any in the yard for Spouse to find with his lawnmower...)

 Next I decided to wash the wheels. I know the tiny bowl looks ridiculous, but stay with me here. The wheels were greasy, so I thought I'd wash them in Dawn, just like they bathe oily birds after oil spills. Seemed to work pretty well!

 Much cleaner!

Once the cart was disassembled, I sanded the rusty parts so I would have a smooth surface to paint. I still have more sanding to do.

So far so good with this project! Stay tuned for the next installment: Masking and spray painting!

No comments: