12 February 2013

Organization: Die Cut Basket

 You know how there are some things you use so often that you don't stop to think about them? 

I feel that way about my die cut basket. It's nothing fancy but if it were gone, I'd definitely miss it! It was born out of my need to be frugal: I realized awhile back that every time I created a project with dies or punches, I'd end up with a leftover piece or two -- either I changed my mind on the color or the size wasn't quite right. So instead of throwing them out, I started tossing them into a little basket.

Now, when I need to make a project (especially a card), I start with the basket. I choose a few pieces, match them with some patterned paper, and I can create a card in no time. I've also found the basket useful for layouts. Why cut a snowflake when you've already got one that matches that winter page perfectly?

 These cards (which I posted awhile back) were made from odds and ends I found in the basket...


...as was this card I made for my daughter's birthday last month. I cut matching letters for the envelope. (It sure seems like there are a lot of HEARTS in my basket!)

I find I can save a lot of time (and money!) by using the odds and ends in my little basket. If you don't already have one, I'd suggest starting one today. You'll be amazed at how handy it can be!
jp

2 comments:

Sarah Coggins said...

Such a good idea! I have a small drawer in a skinny, desk height organizer that is dedicated to scrap paper from projects. Hate wasting all those pieces and, like you said, there is usually something in there I can use - especially for a small project like a card. Trying to get better at using it. My little drawer is bulging! :)

Anonymous said...

I have a small drawer started with leftovers from projects. I usually look to see if there is something that I can use. Sharon