12 October 2010

What I'm Reading Now

I'm a big fan of non-fiction. I occasionally read fiction, but there's something about the practicality of non-fiction that really appeals to me. In the past few weeks (coincidentally, the same amount of time that Daughter has been away at college!), I've finished several non-fiction books. Of them, Lunch in Paris is my favorite.


This is the true story of a woman who meets a French guy and moves to Paris. Sound a bit trite? I assure you, it's not. Elizabeth Bard tells the story of her transition to French life with the rich detail of someone who has truly lived it. She weaves in descriptions of places you may recognize if you've vacationed in Paris -- or lived there in college, as I did. Her writing voice is at once conversational and elegant.

What gives this book a unique twist is that the text is laced with recipes, all of which help advance the story line. This context makes the annotated recipes themselves interesting to read. I've marked several that I'd like to try. The author's straightforward technique descriptions make me believe that even I could be successful making some otherwise intimidating French dishes.

If you'd like to visit this beautiful city -- or return some day -- you'll enjoy losing yourself in Lunch in Paris.

3 comments:

Lunch in Paris said...

Hi Janet - So glad you enjoyed the book. If you decide to try some recipes, I'd love it if you'd post a photo to: www.facebook.com/LunchinParis

Bon Appetit! EB

Sarah Coggins said...

Sounds like a good book! Paris is on my "someday" list. :)

Janet said...

EB -- Thank you! I will do so! :)

Sarah -- Hope to make it back there one day...