07 October 2008

Design Your Life class

After thinking a LOT about it, I finally decided to sign up for Cathy Zielske's online class at Big Picture Scrapbooking. She's my all-time favorite scrapbooker, and I've taken a class from her at CKU and just think she's the best. The class is "Design Your Life", and it's a 12-week course in design. There will be at least three projects each week to accompany the discussion topic. I decided that instead of making the sample binder that is suggested, I'm going to incorporate the completed layouts into my existing scrapbooks. This way, I'll be applying design concepts and getting my own scrapbooking done at the same time! (Less guilt that way, too!)

Since I signed up so late and the class started last Thursday, I missed doing the pre-work and jumped in with the first assignment. This one was a bit of a departure for me since I'm usually too cheap to print enlargements of this size, but now that I've done it, I will definitely do it again. (I actually printed this one at home, so I convinced myself it was free! LOL) I think this simple symmetrical design will work really well for the thousands of band layouts I need to create (well, not thousands, but a LOT) because I usually have only one or two decent shots and lots of smaller distance shots.



And just like I wouldn't mind wearing the same comfortable clothes every day, no one will care if I make the same layout again and again, right? :-)

8 comments:

Lily said...

i really like how that layout came out

Fonda said...

Yeah Janet! I'm taking that class too and actually have the 3 LOs done from the first week! Very simple and easy! I love Cathy Zs books and couldn't pass up the opportunity to take her class too!

Janet said...

Lily-Thank you! My dd was really excited about the enlargement. She doesn't see many of those around here! :-)

Fonda-YAY! I read on the msg board that there are 1500 ppl taking Cathy's class! Can you believe that? There are some awesome projects in the gallery. I've actually made all of the projects and a second LO using this first sketch, which is a LOT for me! See ya in class! ;-)

denali said...

How does it NOT surprise me that Cathy's your fave? Your style has always reminded me of hers, and vice versa, and I greatly admire both of you :) Me, I'm exactly the opposite - couldn't scrap a straight line to save my lfe ;) - but I really admire your stuff!

Photo-centric pages make very happy, *especially* large photos, so I love this page extra ;)

Have you seen ksharonk's album of her daughter's Japan trip? She used the same template for all 60-something pages and it looks GREAT.

Linda said...

Great layout. And no one will care, I sometimes make the same layout for all three kids. They haven't complained, not that it would matter if they did. I just need to get some more layouts done. :)

Sarah Coggins said...

That's a great page design! Love the big photo and straight lines. :D

Kristina said...

Sounds like fun! I loved her class at CKU-Minneapolis and can you believe that she has actually responded to me in email....twice!

muirwoodsue said...

Great layout of the band! I'm in Cathy's class too. She is awesome and so organized. The good thing is you can use that basic layout and turn it to make 4 different layouts with the same elements!
See you at BPS