15 May 2008

Dear flowered wallpaper:


Our time together has ended.

Yes, it's true that I once loved you. Amongst a host of other options, I picked you. In fact, the decorator suggested I give you a try, and I'm glad that I did. Your mauve and dusty blue flowers were the perfect match with our decor.

I remember the weekend when you came into our lives. You brightened up our ordinary white entryway. You were even visible from the street. Everyone noticed you, and I was happy.

Please understand...This is not about you. It's me. I'm the one who has changed. You are still as beautiful as ever. You see, a few years back, I became restless and ready for something new. I became tired of the mauve flowers and longed for an olive green and gold color scheme. You attracted attention, but not for the right reasons, and (I'm sorry to admit) I became embarrassed by you.

Last summer, when we took down our kitchen wallpaper and painted the walls olive green, you could probably see that this was the beginning of the end. When we repainted our mauve dining room green back in December, I'm sure you could tell that your days were numbered. I'm sorry you've had to live in limbo for so long.

Please know that I want only the best for you.
Over the course of the next couple of days, the painters will carefully score you and squirt you with Dif. You will be gently peeled from the walls. After 12 years, your service will finally be over.

Since you'll find out anyway, I should tell you that you will be replaced with tan paint. His name is Sherwin. As in Williams. Maybe you know him. We're a good match.

Please know that I will always remember our time together. You will live on in the photos of my scrapbooks. And in the basement storage closet, I will keep a sample of you. If I ever tire of Sherwin, I will pull it out and remember our colorful days together.



6 comments:

The Smart One said...

I'm quietly sobbing here in the privacy of my own little office as I remember the labor of love that brought these flowers to life.
Alas, it will end as I welcome Tan Williams into our house.

KarenSue said...

Love the new look of your blog,
I haven't had much access to the computer this past week, can't wait to catch up on what Lily and Tinsel have been doing.

Linda said...

That is going to be a big change. I can't wait to see it. Loved your good bye letter. :)

Fonda said...

Oh Janet, you crack me up. This is a very nice letter to some very beautiful wallpaper. You should also save some for scrapbook LO's and cards!!!

Cheri said...

*sniff* *sniff* That is so sweet. Now you have me feeling sorry for that poor, pretty (if a little out of style at this point) paper:)

I agree with Fonda...I have actually used wallpaper (from sample books) on my SB pages. Use copies of the photos; I'm pretty sure most wallpaper is vinyl.

toners said...

I'm holding back the tears here...what a sweet farewell :)