09 March 2018

Feline Friday: Everybuddy's Irish!


 Awhile back, I had my DNA tested through Ancestry and linked it to my family tree. As I've written in previous posts, the results were pretty much in line with what I expected...but with a few surprises, namely the Irish heritage! I'd known about my Scottish ancestors but the Irish background came as a surprise. Perhaps it shouldn't have, given my red hair!

Anyhoo, I was at the grocery store last week and noticed they had a whole table full of Irish-themed goodies, including cakes and Irish soda bread. The bread looked quite tasty and, SINCE I'M NOW IRISH ๐Ÿ˜Š I determined it was perfectly justifiable to purchase a small loaf. At less than $3, it looked like a reasonable gamble. I raced home, excited to cut into it...only to discover that it wasn't baked all the way through. What a bummer!
 

So I headed back to the store to return the bread and let the bakery know about the problem. I had sampled enough of the bread around the edges to know that it was actually delicious...if not for the unbaked part in the middle. The people at the store were quite apologetic, refunded my money and gave me a new loaf. 

Back home I went and eagerly cut into the new loaf, only to discover the same problem. So back to the store I went! I could feel that my eagerness to try Irish soda bread was starting to border on obsession, but I was powerless to stop myself! I HAD TO HAVE A LOAF, and we all know that attempting to bake a loaf myself would be a Very Bad Idea.


 The nice customer service lady offered me anything else in the bakery, but of course nothing else would do BECAUSE I'M NOW IRISH ๐Ÿ˜Š (I stopped short of showing them my Ancestry results...), so they vowed to try again and promised to set aside another loaf for me, free of charge.

 The following day I returned to the store to pick it up. As it turned out, the third time was the charm!
 

I cut into the loaf to reveal a moist, sweet bread dotted with plump raisins. It was so tasty that it didn't even need butter! I was enjoying my very first slice of Irish soda bread SINCE I'M NOW IRISH ๐Ÿ˜€ when suddenly from all the way upstairs....

 ...Lily awoke from her nap. DID SOMEBUDDY SAY IRISH SODA BREAD???
 

It's no secret that Lily loves baked goods, yet she'll only eat bread if it has butter slathered all over it. But Irish soda bread? She became CRAZED for it, diving and jumping for any nibble I might give her as long as the loaf lasted. It was unlike anything I'd ever seen!

 Lily enjoyed her Irish soda bread so much that I concluded, even without a DNA test, she must be Irish, too! ๐Ÿ˜ป

After all, everybuddy's Irish in March!
jp


1 comment:

Kimberly Marie said...

Awww, what a fun post! How interesting what your DNA results indicated. I'm half Italian, English and German ~ though that hasn't been completely confirmed with an Ancestry DNA test! Lol. So glad you finally got an Irish Soda Bread that was actually cooked through, and now you have a new food love. How adorable that Lily loved it, too!!