26 March 2018

Catching Up on Scrapbooking

Is there even such a thing as catching up on scrapbooking? Yes, I do know people who are "current" in their scrapbooking, but I'm certain that will never be me...or at least not for quite some time!

Last month I started back in on the "catch up" project I've been working on, finding myself mired in a box of photos from 2004. I had started an album back in the day but only completed a few pages. My task now is to use mainly pocket pages to fill in the rest of the events. Using a 3-ring binder is the best/easiest/ONLY way to accomplish this task, as it makes it simple to move pages around and mix in sleeves of different sizes.

After a few long sessions of scrapbooking, I've accomplished a lot! That full box of photos began to empty out in a most gratifying manner!

 I must say I'll be happy when I eventually arrive at the era of 4x6 prints! These older photos are all 3.5x5 and must be matted to fit into the pockets. Back in those days I was also printing pictures with white borders, a feature that sometimes has its advantages...but not always!
 

I spent the better part of the weekend working on this project, putting photos on simple pages and into sleeves. I still have to go back and add journaling and embellishments which will take some time, but the hardest part is done!

 A lot of my time was spent working with memorabilia I've saved. The system I set up a few years ago has worked really well! I have four hanging files for each year, so when I start working on a particular month I can just pull out the file to find concert programs, maps, ticket stubs, and other treasures from the past. By using the binders, I can easily slip those items into smaller sleeves interspersed between the pages. I did, however, run into some trouble when I discovered I'd mis-filed a lot of my stuff! Good grief...

Here I just cut out the description of the photography camp Bailey attended and added it to a page. While working on this section, I found all the letters we sent to her at camp, as well as the distress letter she sent to us when she was homesick! It wasn't funny at the time, but it sure is today! :)

 For this section, I included a brochure and program from our Girl Scout overnight.

 I had previously made a few pages for this album like the one at the left, so I just made sure that the new pocket pages matched up with them when possible. I'll add a few captions to those pages and call it good.
 

 These pages are nothing fancy at all...just matted photos slipped into pockets with a little bit of journaling. Here I left some space to add a title and journaling at the left.
  

 It feels really great getting these pictures into the scrapbook! The page at the left is an old one featuring a favorite photo, and at the right are pictures of my late grandma's house which I took right before it was torn down. It was a very special place to me so I'll be sure to add some journaling with my memories.

Now the box is much emptier! This is proof that if you actually work on something -- even something daunting! -- you can chip away at it until you make progress! Those pictures aren't going to scrapbook themselves, and no one else is going to do it for me...that I know for sure!

 
One unexpected development: I realized we went to DisneyWorld in 2004 and those pictures are in a separate box...still to be scrapbooked! Vacation scrapbooks can be very time-consuming but on the other hand, it's always fun to work with Disney photos! After this box is empty, I'll start on that project.


If you've got a backlog of photos to be scrapbooked, take heart! It CAN be done...if you just get started!

 Onward! Stay tuned for more exciting reports! 😄
 jp





2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been reading your blog & seeing the progress you have made in this project. Just wanted to say “Way to go!” I love the feeling of accomplishment that comes with finishing up a daunting task. I know you have more to go, but it all looks great so far.
Thanks for the entertaining pictures of the cats, too! So cute!

Janet said...

Awww Thanks so much for the encouraging words!! I’m trying to keep the momentum going! So nice of you to stop by!