04 December 2017

Card Swap

 This year, the staff at the store where I teach decided to do a card swap. We each made 19 cards to exchange with one another -- any theme, any design. 

I'm always making cards but they're usually for a class or a kit, or just one or two at a time to send out for myself. Rarely (if ever) do I make lots of a single design. But I had an idea in my head that I'd been meaning to try for a class, so I decided to test it out for the card swap.

My idea was to create an all-white or all-cream card using die cuts and various textures (rather than colors) to create visual interest. Initially I thought I'd make a wedding or sympathy card, but as I played around with die cuts, I decided to make a Christmas card instead.

I made a quick prototype then once I settled on my design, I started creating the die cuts. I cut everything at once so the card could be assembled in steps.

I formatted a text panel for the front and inside of the card using MS Word. While I enjoy stamping, Word can't be beat for creating exactly the text you need...in exactly the right spot!

I also decided to line my envelopes (something I've vowed to remember to do more often!). I cut some matching paper down to fit inside them....

...then ran a scoring blade across the top part. Adhesive goes behind the portion above the fold, and the rest tucks into the envelope.

It's so easy, I don't know why I usually forget to line my envelopes!

After making the die cuts, I layered the flowers. The top layer was cut from a shiny cardstock, which contrasts nicely against the flat bottom layer. Finally, I added tiny dots of Nuvo Drops to the centers of the flowers and set aside the tray to dry overnight.

They kind of looked like cookies!

 Once dry, I flipped the flowers over and put foam tape slivers on the back. This was a good task to do while I was waiting in the "virtual waiting room" to buy Hamilton tickets!

 Next, I brushed the evergreen sprigs with white glue, sprinkled them with chunky glitter, and let them dry overnight. They kind of curled a bit as they dried, which was OK with me!


I colored over the "merries" with a clear Wink of Stella brush which leaves a quick-drying sparkle. So pretty when the light hits it!

Finally it was time to assemble! I cut, scored, and folded the card bases, then I added the "Christmas" panel to the front. An embossed square filled up the top part of the panel, with "merry" adhered across the bottom.

Then it was just a matter of adding the poinsettia, the leaf, and the glittered evergreen sprig.

Although there were a lot of steps to this card, once everything was prepped the assembly went quickly.

The jury is still out on whether I'll tackle a class like this. Although I love the visual simplicity of an all-white card, it's a LOT of die cutting! I'll give it a few weeks and think about it! 😉

jp




















4 comments:

krcmasterpiece said...

I always love seeing all white cards! You did any amazing job!!!

Janet said...

Awww, thank you so much, Karen! This was a fun project!

Unknown said...

Beautiful card!

Janet said...

Thank you, Kristina! I need to start on my "real" Christmas cards now! Better late than never...LOL