17 April 2014

Recipe: Pork & Poblano Stew

Blogging friends: Please forgive my continued lack of posts. This time, I truly feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel and hope I can get back on track very soon. We've just returned from a wonderful trip to Indiana University to see our daughter's senior recital. I've got much to say about that fantastic event, as well as several other happenings. But since I'm still finishing up some projects, I thought I'd simply share a quick recipe today. 

I found this recipe for Pork & Poblano Stew in a fall 2013 issue of Better Homes & Gardens magazine. It sounded like a recipe we would enjoy...and it was! I made it ahead of time and put it in the crock pot for the afternoon so I wouldn't have to worry about watching it on the stove (not my strong point). This is a very tasty recipe -- low fat and very healthful, too! I hope you'll give it a try!
jp

 Pork and Poblano Stew 
Source: Better Homes & Gardens magazine 

Ingredients 
2 teaspoons hot chili powder
1 1/4 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into 3/4- to 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 fresh poblano chile pepper, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large red sweet pepper, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 medium onion cut into thin wedges
1 14 1/2 ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes with garlic, undrained
1 14 1/2 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
3 inches stick cinnamon
2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel 
1/4 cup fresh orange juice 

Directions 
In a medium bowl, sprinkle chili powder over pork. Toss to combine. In a large saucepan heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Cook the pork, about 4 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove pork with a slotted spoon and set aside.

(Okay, this smells really good! I'll bet you can smell it from the photo!)
 


Add remaining oil to saucepan. Add poblano pepper, sweet pepper, and onion to saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes. 
  

(Oops, I forgot to take out the pork! No worries...it all gets combined anyway!)
 

Add tomatoes, broth, and cinnamon stick. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Uncover and add reserved pork and orange juice. Return to a simmer for 5 minutes more. Stir in orange peel. 

(There was a note in the magazine about the orange juice and peel, directed to anyone who might be afraid to add those ingredients -- that would be me! I typically do not like fruit flavors mixed in with "savory" dishes, but in this case the citrus simply brightened the flavor.)
 

To serve, remove stick cinnamon. Ladle into shallow bowls.

No comments: