02 March 2013

Recipe: Greek Pasta with Shrimp, Garbanzo Beans, & Lemon (Which I Forgot)

 Spouse was out of town recently, which gives me license to cook a few things he doesn't like! He doesn't care for fish or shrimp so they're usually at the top of my list. This time I tried a new recipe from a freebie magazine published by HyVee, a local grocery store. It turned out great, but I'm sure it would have been even better if I'd remembered to buy a lemon. I'm no pro in the kitchen, but even I know that if it's listed in the recipe name, it's probably an important ingredient!

This is what the pasta looked like before I added the spinach. I used the "soften" focus on my photo so you wouldn't notice the mess I'd made all over the stove. :)

Greek Pasta with Shrimp, Garbanzo Beans, and Lemon

8 ounces dry bow-tie pasta (it's so cute!)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Oregano leaves from 8 fresh sprigs
Thyme leaves from 8 fresh sprigs
5 cloves garlic, sliced
1 pound fresh shrimp, peeled and de-veined
1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained
1 large handful baby spinach
Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
Plain Greek or regular yogurt (optional, for serving)
Zest and wedges from 1 lemon, optional for serving

Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse; set aside. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil, herbs, and garlic and saute 15 to 30 seconds. Add shrimp; saute 1-2 minutes or until shrimp just turn pink. Fold in beans and pasta; heat through. Remove from heat and fold in spinach. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Turn out onto a large platter to serve. If desired (YES, PLEASE!!), top with dollops (can't decide if I like that word...) of yogurt, olive oil, and freshly grated lemon zest and wedges. (Oops, no lemon for me...but it was still great!)

Too bad Spouse missed out on such a yummy new recipe! And it's even sadder that I have to wait until his next trip to make it again!
jp


No comments: