15 February 2018

2018 Fitness Habits

I'm absolutely one of the least athletic people you'll ever meet. As a child, I was always the last to be picked in gym class and came to believe that I simply wasn't capable of doing anything physical. So even though I'd always been an active/busy person, I had never really exercised until we joined our local gym a few years back.  Since joining, I've noticed a big difference in my overall strength, flexibility, and stamina. And I think that regular exercise also contributed to good blood-work numbers I received at my physical last fall. (Check out this post from my first few days at the gym back in 2008! I have indeed made some progress since then when I considered it torture! LOL)

In October, our gym got some new equipment which allows you to track your progress. I happened to be trying out one of the new bikes when the manager offered me a key fob so I could track myself. I wasn't sure I wanted to do that but he encouraged me to give it a try. (Really, why not?)

As it turned out, I found that tracking my progress was highly motivating! I set up a weekly goal and each time I use the equipment, it counts toward that goal. Once I started tracking my progress, I was motivated to go to the gym more often. Funny how that works! :)

Because I was motivated to track my progress, I decided that I could surely make time to go to the gym every day. After all, it's very close to our house and open 24 hours a day. So I started going every day, either to run or bike. 

 I'm dealing with a sore foot right now so, I've added the elliptical and rowing into my rotation of gym activities. While I'm there, I watch YouTube videos on my phone and the time flies by!

Once I started going every day, I realized that I could get onto the "biggest user" list that the gym posts every month -- the people who go most often. This list is not for the "most fit" or "people who work the hardest". To make the list, you just have to show up. That I can do! LOL
 
So by making the gym a daily habit, I made the list in November, December, and January. And silly as it may be, that in itself has been motivation to keep going. When you consider where I started back in 2008 (read that old post, if you haven't!), the fact that I've managed to get myself onto any gym list at all is pretty hilarious! :)
 

Can I keep up with going to the gym every day? Maybe not. But I can certainly go with more consistency and be more mindful of how I'm spending my time there.

In January, I also decided to step up my yoga game and make it a daily habit. I've found that I get the most benefit from a home yoga practice by doing a little each day.  I've been doing yoga regularly for two years now (Yoga with Adriene) but not every day. 
 

In January, my daughter and I joined Adriene's 30-day yoga journey and for the first time since doing 30-day challenges, I did not miss a single day. YAY! I've kept it going through February, too. I find that making check-marks on my yoga calendar is motivating! Silly, but it works for me.

So what's the point of this blog post? I've found that by being physically active each day -- consistently -- this "chore" has turned into a habit. Now I don't come up with excuses to miss the gym or do my yoga. As a result, I feel better, I sleep better (because I'm REALLY tired on some days!) and I'm getting stronger. 

I'm still not athletic, but showing up for myself -- on the yoga mat and at the gym -- is making a big difference in my well-being. And that makes it worth it!

jp





No comments: