20 December 2010

The Best of Times

When I was in college and later living out of state, I couldn't understand why my parents would get so excited to see me on my occasional trip home.

Now, with Daughter 8+ hours away at college, I UNDERSTAND. I looked forward to her Christmas break with giddy anticipation. I broke into tears when I caught a glimpse of her walking toward me at the airport. And now that she's here, I just want to sit by her on the couch for the next three weeks.

Tonight she was in the kitchen mixing up a cake and Skyping with one of her college friends. Truth is, she has one foot in this world and one foot in that one. So while we have her in this house, I'm soaking up her presence and all that comes with it -- the laughter, the singing, the kids sprawled all over the family room. Even the laundry on the bathroom floor.

I know it's just for a little while, but having her here is the best Christmas present EVER.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Very sweet! It's funny but I never thought about how connected they can stay with their college friends while they're on vacation. When I was in college (the first three times four times), when you were home, you were home! Glad you're having a good time with her - sounds heavenly, even with the bathroom floor laundry!

Jill said...

Yay! My comment "took"! Blogger or the internet or something got very mad and said that it hated me. But apparently, it didn't start to hate me until AFTER publishing the comment!!

Fonda said...

Awww Janet. So glad she's home!

Kristina said...

Awwww......I do understand how you feel. I just said to Fred the other night...we only have 3 more Christmases with Connor at home. :( I sure hope he'll want to come home for the holidays.