12 November 2019

Organizing: The Domino Effect

We recently ordered a new mattress for our guest room. Long story short: To better accommodate the new mattress size, I got the idea that we should swap the furniture in our guest room for that which was in our daughter's old bedroom.

So we spent one long day this weekend doing that. The bookcases had to be unloaded to move them so of course that started me thinking: Would it be feasible to move all of the genealogy stuff currently housed on those bookcases into my craft room? That's where I use it, and it would be great to have everything housed in one spot -- especially in case of an emergency.

One thing led to another -- the domino effect! -- and we ended up at Home Depot. Instead of the shorter wire rack I thought I needed, Spouse convinced me to get a taller one which is about the same height as this one that currently holds my 12x12 scrapbooks.

Turns out I had PLENTY of family history/genealogy stuff to completely fill the new shelves! I moved all of the genealogy stuff from the guest room bookcases and onto my new shelves.  In addition, I moved all of the boxes of loose photos and slides which had been on the floor of the guest room to the new shelves as well. That made a huge difference!

After we got the bedrooms put back together, I spent some time organizing the new shelving unit. Now all of my grandma's genealogy binders are in one spot, along with old family photos and completed family history albums. I can see at a glance what still needs to be done. Answer: A lot!


Since this shelving unit sits in my craft space, I wanted everything to be somewhat coordinated with my room. Having things organized this way feels more settled/less chaotic to me. So I moved the photos and memorabilia to containers I had on hand that better match the colors of my craft space. I didn't have to buy any new containers -- I just re-purposed those I had been using elsewhere in the house.


I'm really happy to have all of this family history/genealogy stuff in one place rather than in a mess on the floor and shelves of the guest room. Now I don't have to move all of it when we have a guest, and it will be so much handier to have stored it right where I use it. Everything is freshly labeled so it's easily accessible. 

With all of that done, it makes me feel ready to tackle another spot. Next up: The Linen Closet of Doom!

2 comments:

Machelle said...

Wow! You’ve been very busy! And productive! I love to organize and am much more relaxed and creative when my space is organized & I can find what I need quickly for a project. Good for you!

Janet said...

Thank you! We must be cut from the same cloth! I definitely can't work in chaos and having stuff all over the floor was making me crazy. I feel so much better now and ready to get back at it!

Thanks so much for stopping by! :)